Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 10-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #16
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Tim Cook's email regarding the Mac Pro mentioned they have something "really great" planned for "late next year".

Old 10-25-2012, 05:25 PM   #17
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuna
Tim Cook's email regarding the Mac Pro mentioned they have something "really great" planned for "late next year".

Note that he said "something really great " not "a new mac pro". His wording is just vague enough so that if they do not release a new mac pro, they can say they never promised it. He is stringing along potential mac pro customers.

he also ended his statement with this:

Quote:
We also announced a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display that is a great solution for many pros.

I don't trust them to make what I need anymore. They've got to earn that trust back now.

Here's the ad for the new $1700 13 inch mac book pro with no dedicated GPU. The slogan is "For the Pro in all of us."

Last edited by Venkman : 10-25-2012 at 05:44 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:16 PM   #18
tuna
|||||||||||||||||||||||||

Thomas Cannell
String puller
Venice, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkman
I don't trust them to make what I need anymore. They've got to earn that trust back now.

Here's the ad for the new $1700 13 inch mac book pro with no dedicated GPU. The slogan is "For the Pro in all of us."

The 13" has never had a discreet GPU, also when he mentioned the rMBP he was referring to the then-newly announced 15" which does have a discreet GPU and is a pretty good workstation laptop. All in all, none of this is pertinent to rizon's original question, except the fact that it's highly unlikely a new Mac Pro will come out in January.

Old 10-25-2012, 06:19 PM   #19
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
The 13" has never had a discreet GPU

And for that reason, I believe it is not good for the "pros" who run things like C4d, Maya, or even FCPX (which gets much of it's speed boost from GPU acceleration).

Quote:
also when he mentioned the rMBP he was referring to the then-newly announced 15"

Indeed he was.

Quote:
All in all, none of this is pertinent to rizon's original question, except the fact that it's highly unlikely a new Mac Pro will come out in January.

It's my very round about way of saying I don't think an iMac, MacBook Pro, or Retina MacBook Pro are reasonable alternatives to an actual workstation, which I believe Apple will discontinue, despite posts in this thread mentioning it will return in Jan 2013.

The iMac may compete with the current Mac Pro on power/price, but it's only competing with Apple's own offerings and only then in CPU power. Given that, I think the slim form factor makes it risky to use on long term, CPU heavy tasks like rendering.

Last edited by Venkman : 10-25-2012 at 06:34 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #20
Srek
Some guy

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Björn Dirk Marl
Technical Design
Maxon Computer GmbH
Friedrichsdorf, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilisk
They could make a rackmount MacPro.

They discontinued the Xserve not yet two years ago. I doubt they will resurrect it any time soon, if ever.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #21
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Opinions are mine. You can't have them.
Oakland, USA

"we're working on something really great for later next year," Cook wrote.

not "late next year", just "later, next year".

I have a source that confirmed it was in the works before Cook announced it. They aren't discontinuing it. They are completely revamping it inside and out. I'm sure there are plenty people out there that still think OS X and iOS are merging too, but that also isn't going to happen.

Do you think Nvidia would have announced the Quadro K5000 Mac edition if they didn't have signs from Apple that the card would have a new PCI-x 3.0 workstation to sit in?

Last edited by cgbeige : 10-25-2012 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
"we're working on something really great for later next year," Cook wrote.

not "late next year", just "later, next year".

I have a source that confirmed it was in the works before Cook announced it. They aren't discontinuing it. They are completely revamping it inside and out. I'm sure there are plenty people out there that still think OS X and iOS are merging too, but that also isn't going to happen.

I really, really hope that is the case.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #23
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

If you know how to use remote desktop, you can just carry around your laptop, and leave your render server at home. Just remote into your sever, and download the files from Dropbox. Upload the final frames back to Dropbox, and off you go...

-AJ

Last edited by AJ1 : 10-25-2012 at 09:38 PM.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 PM   #24
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Oakland, USA

you don't need remote desktop. just use screen and ssh:

http://polygonspixelsandpaint.tumblr.com/post/701899285

scroll down to half way.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #25
mustique
Expert
copywriter

maybe they'll introduce an iMacPro who knows. Regardless of what Apple will anounce on the pro desktop, I hope it will give lots of cpu cores (16-32) in a small form factor.

Either that or OSX for PC.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
fluffouille
Booh

Sébastien Florand
Fluffy4D
Durham, USA

I don't get the quest for a small form factor...
The mac pro is all about space, expansion, versatility, good cooling and sound buffering. Hard to get these in a small form factor.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
mustique
Expert
copywriter

By small form factor, I don't mean the mini itx SSF standart. That's obviously not possible.
Rather something in the line of the HP's z600 builds (not the 620's) or even something smaller than that. With low power 22nm Xeons, SSDs, no DVD drives and such, things could get much smaller. Maybe nearly as small as a HTPC.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #28
cgbeige
Expert

portfolio
Dave Girard
Oakland, USA

if you want small, the Dell T5600 is small and quiet but it sacrifices storage space and the build quality is kind of crap

Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #29
dmeyer
raaaaaerrrrrrrrr!

designer
de-zy-nur
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeige
if you can wait for the next-gen Mac Pro, it will be out around Jan, from what I can tell. I'm getting one and I'll be reviewing it for Ars Technica.

If they are waiting for Ivy Bridge Xeons it will be out, next Jan.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:24 PM   #30
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread