CGTalk > Challenges > Lighting Challenges
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #571
sundialsvc4
Lord of the posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinew
Can I just ask for some feedback on my final image please? I'm interested to know how you guys would improve it and what I should have done to be included in the gallery?

For what it's worth, when I look at this picture, I definitely take the scene as "this is real." It's very convincing. But I do see a couple of fundamental lighting/exposure problems, which I would describe equally for a CG image or a photograph:
  • The eye is always drawn, like a magnet, to the brightest and/or the most contrasty part of the picture. Which in your case is, unfortunately, the lights at the top of the frame. Zi-i-i-ip! My eye just shot "up and out of" the picture. Whups. (My eye also pauses at the shape below the horse's neck, then goes straight up the "pipe" to hit the poor horse. Whack!
  • The body of the horse, despite "all that light," is murky and underexposed. The side of the horse actually drops all the way to "featureless black." Serious boner. The ghost of Ansel Adams would rise up and lecture you. But it's also rather implausible: the horse is directly below "all those lights" and certainly would receive sufficient illumination.

Also... if I were shooting this scene with my trusty 4x5 camera, I would probably have a couple of soft-cloth reflectors casting light into the shadow areas just to bring the tonal range back within the parameters of the film I'm using. I'd be all over the carousel with my incident-light meter, muttering to myself, "This will be zone-5, this needs to be no less than zone-3, and this highlight no more than zone-7..." And if I can't compress it quite that far in the field, I'm going to be making notes for the darkroom.

And then, all things considered, I just might recompose the shot. For example, what if you panned the camera to the left so that you cropped-away the very bright (burned out) light patch at two o'clock? (Put your right hand over the image and have a looky.) Isn't that a much better shot?

Old 05-11-2010, 05:33 PM   #572
volumelight
Veteran

portfolio
rohit hora
delhi, India

bedroom update

while going through the archive today i came across this scene ""the bedroom"" from previous lighting challenge.i did a quick light test in 3ds max and some color adjustment in photoshop and made this book cover from it.i know this may be not the right place to put this image but the previous thread is closed.,,i just wanted to share it with you guys...please dont ban me from the community for doing this

Attached Images
File Type: jpg rohit room com COVER low.jpg (92.0 KB, 5 views)

Old 05-11-2010, 08:32 PM   #573
jeremybirn
Jeremy Birn

Jeremy Birn
Lighting Artist
Pixar Animation Studios
Berkeley, US

Hi Sinew -

That's a nice image. For a fresh perspective on your lighting, cover-up the top half of the scene, and just look at the bottom half. How would the lights illuminate the horses that are in the background? What kind of reflections or defintion do you want on the ground? Can people even tell what the white area is? Are you doing everything you can to shape the round poles to make them look round, to bounce light onto the horses? What are the horse's eyes made of, and what would they be reflecting?

Your optical effects on the lights along the top look great. The distant lights in the background could use an equal amount of attention. Study the bokeh effects you see when lights fall out of focus at night in a real photograph, and you might get some ideas. Also, any bright highlights in the reflections on the horses could be treated similarly to the lights at the top, just to bring some of the sparkles into the rest of the frame.

I'm not sure what's being reflected in all of your reflections. There's a bright line running through the middle of one of the horses that at least could be moved to a less distracting postion. To test your reflections, you could try a test-render with a highly reflective sphere placed right where the horses will be. Does what you'd see reflected in the sphere look like you're in a carnival from all angles?

-jeremy

Old 05-12-2010, 02:14 AM   #574
brookselliott
New2CG
portfolio
Bill Brooks
BrooksElliott
San Diego, USA

There seem to be more than a few that are looking more 2d than 3d I thought in the renders that were chosen to be included even after Jeremy scolded a few WIP for doing this.
Strange choices for Jeremy.

Last edited by brookselliott : 05-13-2010 at 03:49 PM.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:53 AM   #575
D4riel
Frequenter

portfolio
Dariel Rodriguez
3D Animation & VFX
santo domingo, Dominican Republic

Talking when

hey how i know when is the next challenge or when there is a new challenge and how to participate ????

i like a lott this scene but the time is until abril 30 , so i want to know when is the next ???

pls ......

Old 05-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #576
xeltestic
Frequenter

portfolio
Thomas Lepeska
Team Lead Animation
Rovio
Helsinki, Finland

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4riel
hey how i know when is the next challenge or when there is a new challenge and how to participate ????

i like a lott this scene but the time is until abril 30 , so i want to know when is the next ???

pls ......

Lighting challenge #23 Mad Science is already online.

See you there.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 PM   #577
kanooshka
Lighting Enthusiast

portfolio
Dan Konieczka
Technical Director
Hartford,

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4riel

pls ......

All the news is posted in this thread: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...?f=185&t=634553

Click on the link and then on the bottom you should be able to subscribe to it. You'll get notified whenever there's an update.

Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM   #578
D4riel
Frequenter

portfolio
Dariel Rodriguez
3D Animation & VFX
santo domingo, Dominican Republic

heyyy thanxx suscribe is readyyy jejej : )

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #579
longfree
portfolio
long
free, USA

Getting better. With the ferris wheel being so bright, I'd expect the reflection in the water to be nearly as bright.

Old 09-30-2010, 07:03 AM   #580
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

reply share thread