Strollin', Bas Verhage (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2005
Strollin', Bas Verhage (3D)

Title: Strollin'
Name: Bas Verhage
Software: LightWave 3D

Hello! I am glad you found the thumb worthwile enough to check out my post.
The work I have posted here is based on an old local folklore tale.I tried to catch the moment and atmosphere when a beautiful afternoon is about to turn grey and rainy.

I used Lightwave 8.0 for the modelling, texturing as well as the rendering. The textures I used are based on photographs (elephant skin, fish skin, grass etc) which I reworked by painting in Photoshop.
After having experimented with Lightwave for a year now, and studying all these wonderful renders you people post on here, I felt that I was up to the challange to complete a work for a change and post it for you to see.
The entire work took about a month in which I worked on it on and off. If I had the chance I would keep on tinkering the models, composition, lighting etc, but I thought that this had to be the moment to post it.

I hope this work is to your liking and that you will make the effort to post your criticisms and comments.

Greetings from the Netherlands
Bas

11 November 2005
One of the strangest images I've seen here in a while, and I certainly like it!
I really can't think of which old tale this is from though.

11 November 2005
this is good.
i agree its quite strange, surreal, but its jsut the way i like it
nice mood
congratz

11 November 2005
oh my god! it's magical

11 November 2005
Would you mind posting the tale you got it from? Lighting and DOF Turned out great!

11 November 2005
Thank you all for your kind words!

This tale I was referring to (and I will give you the very short version otherwise I'd need a day or so to type it all in English...) is about a man who lived some hundreds of years ago. The tale goes that he fell in love with the pretty girl in town. This pretty girl's sister, who of course was not as pretty , felt very jealous as she also had feelings for this man. As an act of revenge (o yeah, this sister was a whitch called a 'wit wief' (which translates to 'white woman'***) cast a spell on him that everytime that he would see his love he would turn into an ugly beast (some versions speak of a wild boar). Devastated that he could never be with his love again he walks into a river and drowns.

The mask symbolizes the spell that was cast by the evil sister because the pretty girl in the story is not able to recognize her love anymore as his true identity is conceiled by it.

As I said my piece was based on this old local folklore tale. The idea for the fishes came to me when I watched a mobster movie and someone said that so-and-so lived with the fishes (meaning he got killed).
The pipe is a tribute to one of my first inspirators (René Margritte). I remember looking at his paintings and always wonder why he'd painted the things like he did. I thought in a surrealist style render a pipe would be a fun prop!

Hope with giving you my description I am not taking the fun out of the pic.

Greetings, Bas

**** Here in the area I live in people used to think they would see white witches toaming the fields in the early morning, when all they saw was pieces of mist (~fog). But there is something about it if you see it as sometimes it really resembles a human figure 'hovering' above the ground. There are a lot of folklore tales surrounding these 'witte wieven'

11 November 2005
the story behind the pic

Thank you all for your kind words!

This tale I was referring to (and I will give you the very short version otherwise I'd need a day or so to type it all in English...) is about a man who lived some hundreds of years ago. The tale goes that he fell in love with the pretty girl in town. This pretty girl's sister, who of course was not as pretty , felt very jealous as she also had feelings for this man. As an act of revenge (o yeah, this sister was a whitch called a 'wit wief' (which translates to 'white woman'***) cast a spell on him that everytime that he would see his love he would turn into an ugly beast (some versions speak of a wild boar). Devastated that he could never be with his love again he walks into a river and drowns.

The mask symbolizes the spell that was cast by the evil sister because the pretty girl in the story is not able to recognize her love anymore as his true identity is conceiled by it.

As I said my piece was based on this old local folklore tale. The idea for the fishes came to me when I watched a mobster movie and someone said that so-and-so lived with the fishes (meaning he got killed).
The pipe is a tribute to one of my first inspirators (René Margritte). I remember looking at his paintings and always wonder why he'd painted the things like he did. I thought in a surrealist style render a pipe would be a fun prop!

Hope with giving you my description I am not taking the fun out of the pic.

Greetings, Bas

**** Here in the area I live in people used to think they would see white witches toaming the fields in the early morning, when all they saw was pieces of mist (~fog). But there is something about it if you see it as sometimes it really resembles a human figure 'hovering' above the ground. There are a lot of folklore tales surrounding these 'witte wieven'

11 November 2005
nice image,different from any other i have seen.I like the background,and texturing looks verry good.congrats!

11 November 2005
I like the lightning in your image. And the idea is awesome . I like it.

11 November 2005
Originally Posted by Marcusy: One of the strangest images I've seen here in a while, and I certainly like it!
I really can't think of which old tale this is from though.

*hahaha..i second the motion!!
*good job!

11 November 2005
holy crap, that's the most surreal image I've seen in a long time. Looks great!

11 November 2005
I like it, something completely different.

11 November 2005
hehe, very unique interpretation of this tale, like it, i heard something about this tale lately but it mentioned the witte wieven in a very different matter, dont know it exactly but i like the piece anyway. Good job.

11 November 2005
Makes me feel so weird! But I guess that's the purpose of it, so congratulations! You nailed it!

Thread Closed share thread