Screenshots of finished scenes before rendering

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

08 August 2017
Screenshots of finished scenes before rendering

I'm not exactly sure how to put into words the thing I'm asking - I guess I'm just wanting to find a way to see what scenes actually look like before rendering- The finished products in galleries are great but I would like to see "how they did that". I'm not sure if people are scared of giving away their secrets but I just think it would be beneficial (at least for me) to see "behind the curtain". I guess I learn in reverse. Taking something apart and putting it back together teaches me a lot more than just reading instructions that tell me part A goes here, part B goes here... I've gone through tutorials on Digital Tutors and everything I can find on youtube but I still just can't seem to get the hang of things. There seems to be a gap in my finished product from the tutorials- it's like that final step is just missing. I know there are a lot of behind the scenes stuff on youtube for movies, etc but it still doesn't show an actual full scene setup. I'd love to meet someone that I can just ask random questions to. Forums are great but they have to stay focused on individual topics. I am not able to afford the online programs that cost $1,000+ How can I go about trying to find a mentor that might work w/ someone like me? Maybe I'm either looking in the wrong place or I'm asking too much but I'm really frustrated- like I've hit a road block and don't know how to proceed...

08 August 2017
I am not sureif I can be of much help as I am kind of a nube myself. The main things to consider within your 3D software is lighting, cameras and materials. Outside of that is compositing within compositing software. This is where you can adjust the colours, add atmosphere and create depth with layers. Rendering out of Maya using passes gives you greater control over compositing. You can also create a depth pass that allows you to create depth of field, how you would do this depends on the renderer you use. Using volumes in Maya can create nice atmosphere effects as well.
When I see an image that I like and want to replicate, I take note of all the elements that make up that image. Obviously what objects are in the image but also, lighting, depth of field, motion blur, atmospherics like dust or mist and the camera angle. Also the colours, using different colour pallets gives you very different effects. Some of this comes down to texturing, sometimes itwill be effected bylighting and many times this will be effected by colour grading incompositing. Then its about figuring out what stuff needs to be done inside the 3D software and what can be done in compositing. For anything I am not sure about I Google and YouTube. If your using Nuke for compositing, they have great tutorials and the non-commercial version of this software is free. For rendering passes if you are using Renderman they should have tutorials on their site. I haven't played with Arnold's render layers as yet, but I am sure there are tutorials for that too.
Anyway I hope I have said something useful

reply share thread