Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM   #1
NarGalloth
portfolio
César Cortiñas Pérez
España

Adrammelech, biomechanic dragon

Hi everyone.

I'd want to show what I've been working on for a while, and know what do you think. I started with the world of modeling just about a month ago, and decided to start practicing on some of the models I'll use on a game proyect I'm leading.

The concept of this beast is some kind of biomechanic lizard, a dragon that naturally developed steel and iron plates on his own body. Obviously, it's designed for a fantasy world. It took me a while to model the dragon itself, and now I'm starting to add the metalic parts. For now, I just made the maw. Here's what I got:

The front of the dragon:

The back of the dragon:

A close up of the head:

A close up of the legs:

A high-poly render, with smoothing, and some red lightning:

What can you say? How can I improve what I already have? I mean, the shape of the dragon, and so.

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards

Old 01-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
firstIssue
Veteran

portfolio
Johannes Rohr
Designer
1stIssue
Cologne, Germany

Send a message via ICQ to firstIssue Send a message via AIM to firstIssue Send a message via MSN to firstIssue
Hi and welcome to the cgsociety, recognised that you joined this month

For now, it is a good start for your model imo. But as you said, it attempts to be a biomechanical dragon, so maybe you shouldn't just add metal plates on the body - this would feel like an armor instead of a symbiosis between dragon and bio mechanical parts - you could add things like tubes inside the skin or going from the inside over the body to another part, so you can imagine, that this "animal" was build out of mechanical and animal parts.

Look at this maybe: http://ihazabucket.s3.amazonaws.com...2010/03/01b.jpg

Old 01-30-2013, 10:38 AM   #3
NarGalloth
portfolio
César Cortiñas Pérez
España

I'm glad you think it's a good start!
Well, I like your idea of adding tubes on the skin, and so. However, what I'm actually fearing is that if I add tubes, wires, and things like that, I will make it feel too much artificial, and that's something I don't want.
I want it to be an animal-machine hybrid, but I want it to feel somehow natural. I think that may be hard to achieve, though.

Actually, I dont' have a lot of free time to work on this, but I'll try to post new updates as long as I got something new.

Kind regards

Old 02-18-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Ethaninja
Veteran
portfolio
Ethan Roberts
NARARA, Australia

I agree with firstIssue, a bio mechanical being usually consists of a hybrid fusing between the two genres of organ and structural. On that note, the mechanical part of the dragon looks a bit too smoothed and soft, a bit more jagged look would feel much more realistic in my opinion Other than that, really great model, keep up the good work!

Old 02-27-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
NarGalloth
portfolio
César Cortiñas Pérez
España

Sorry for the long time without posting anything, I had really little free time.

Thank you for the comments! I did some updates on the model, mostly following your advice. I added some tubes going between parts of the dragon's body, I added some metal plates on the shoulders and on the waist. I also sharpened the mechanical parts, as Ethaninja suggested, although I still have to work a lot on them to get the desired effect.

Kind Regards

Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Ethaninja
Veteran
portfolio
Ethan Roberts
NARARA, Australia

Looking excellent man! Keep up the good work. Any plans for UV Mapping the beast?

Old 02-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #7
NarGalloth
portfolio
César Cortiñas Pérez
España

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethaninja
Looking excellent man! Keep up the good work. Any plans for UV Mapping the beast?

Thanks!
Yeah, I'm going to make UV Mapping. But first I want to work with the base model until I'm really happy with it. Then, I will work on the mapping, and later I'm planning to do some rigging and animation for this little guy.

Kind Regards

Old 02-27-2013, 04:14 PM   #8
PadleSneg
Frequenter

portfolio
Constantin
Moscow, Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarGalloth
Thanks!
Yeah, I'm going to make UV Mapping. But first I want to work with the base model until I'm really happy with it. Then, I will work on the mapping, and later I'm planning to do some rigging and animation for this little guy.

Kind Regards

Will you create a low-poly model for that dragon, or you will use that one? It look like it has too many polygons to be a game model may be?

Old 02-27-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
NarGalloth
portfolio
César Cortiñas Pérez
España

Quote:
Originally Posted by PadleSneg
Will you create a low-poly model for that dragon, or you will use that one? It look like it has too many polygons to be a game model may be?

Do you say that because of the polycount in the viewport's statistics? It shows around 75,000 polys, but there're other objects in the scene. The actual dragon has about 25,000 polys. Maybe I'll create a low poly version, maybe I'll use this one. I don't know yet...

However, I'm planning to create a high-poly model of the dragon, which will be used in cinematics, and so. I suppose this model will be the base model for the high-poly one.

Kind Regards

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Ethaninja
Veteran
portfolio
Ethan Roberts
NARARA, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarGalloth
Do you say that because of the polycount in the viewport's statistics? It shows around 75,000 polys, but there're other objects in the scene. The actual dragon has about 25,000 polys. Maybe I'll create a low poly version, maybe I'll use this one. I don't know yet...

Still, 25,000 is relatively large. The main character of a game in an engine like UDK should be somewhere between 7,000 and 12,000 and that is pushing it. All the other characters that aren't as important should sit somewhere around 2000 to 5000.

Old 02-28-2013, 02:15 AM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread