tablet graphics

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2007
tablet graphics

does messiah works with tablets for grapichs?
or everything have to be done directly with the mouse and animate with in the channels ball?

thanks.
still discovering new stuff inside messiah.

11 November 2007
Messiah works a treat with a wacom tablet. You need to set it as your imput. Go to the key command manager and assign it to a keypress.

As with all software, there are one or two instances where the pen is slightly more tricky to use than the mouse - for example selecting a channel on the edit sphere, without cuasing a slight movement and therefor a keyframe but other than small niggles like that, it's pretty good. I've personally been using a wacom tablet for over two yeasr now (I was one who campaigned for its inclusion!)

11 November 2007
Yeah, Wacom rocks ! I haven't used a mouse for over two years now. Actually I managed to make a small indent on the tablet surface 1 cm wide (Intuos3), I guess I am using it too much. So everytime I slide over it the pen stops a bit and then moves on. Annoying. But it is great to work with tablet in Messiah.

11 November 2007
I'm also a tablet user (man, it saved my wrists). But I can't get Messiah to work with my Wacom tablet. I tried what the manual said to do (in the interface section of the customize tab set it to mouse input) but that didn't help at all.

Trying to move the edit sphere with the pen sends it flying all over the world view. And trying to rotate around in perspective world view doesn't work either.

My tablet works perfectly in LW and Maya.

DMACK, can you be a little more specific about what to do to get the tablet to work in Messiah. I can't understand what that means "assign it to a keypress".

Robert N.

11 November 2007
Curious on this issue also. I have a 9x12 Intuos Tablet on my right side, and use both the mouse and the pen, depending on application. It works flawlessly on all apps except for messiah. I also have a Logitech mouse on my left side (ambidextrous) which does work fine with messiah, but I want to be able to use the tablet pen for best control. I have a dual monitor setup using nVidia 8300 GS card.
When using the tablet with messiah, the animation "jumps" when trying to touch the control points in the animation, very wonky. If I try to use the "File Menu," the highlight jumps down to the halfway point in the menu tree, and I can't move it up past this point. I have sent an email to tech support at PMG:messiah, but haven't heard back yet. Also curioius about any setup moves that might help.
Paul

11 November 2007
yep

it's a bug ....
I have a dual screen too.
You must turn off your second monitor or use a mouse.

I am dealing wiith this bug since 1 year

I reported this bug but i got no answer....
sad.

11 November 2007
Oh, it's because I have 2 monitors. I'll try switching to a single monitor setup and see if that works. Too bad though. I like working in 2 monitors.

Robert

11 November 2007
Thanks for the reply and confirmation. Sorry to hear that you did not get a response. Hopefully it will be addressed in the up coming "Version 3" release.
Paul

11 November 2007
Yep, turned off my second monitor and Messiah behaved quite nicely with my tablet - none of that jumping around. With Messiah I don't really need a second monitor, though it would be great if I could "tear off" the graph editor and put it somewhere else.

Robert

11 November 2007
I don't think it will be corrected in version 3 (not a priority in the bug list)
An option in a messiah panel to activate the "dual screen mode with a tablet" would be great !

I gave up messiah for that.

If you have a better contact with the PMG team, can you report them this bug ? You may have a better chance than me to have a positive answer.

thanks

12 December 2007
Solution??

I think that I have it figured out, using the Wacom and the Dual Monitors. I had a CPU fan go out, and in the process of getting everything back together, I started up with the mouse only active on my left screen and all of the icons on the right screen, out of reach.... I know, go ahead and chuckle, I thought it was pretty funny also. Anyway, using the NVidia setup screen for the dual monitors, one of the alternate configuration setups is to treat both screens as one BIG monitor, instead of two separate ones, which is how I had it setup. It does put the taskbar across the entire bottom of both, and may present some problems in some app that I haven't tried yet, but messiah works just fine. I had to turn the acceleration down on the movement in the Wacom tablet adjustment panel. Try it out, let me know.
Paul
EDIT: One downside is that all of the dialog boxes for regular apps appear "across the divide" since it is all one screen. I am alternating now between the two setups, not ideal.

Last edited by paulhart : 12 December 2007 at 07:04 PM.

12 December 2007
Thanks for your help.

I did that .. but this mode is very slow.... ( that 's slow down openGL and DirectX app.)
I tried to configure the wacom panel and nvidia panel, I have tried to switch my video card to an ATI card.

they need to take a look in their code and write a specific routine for the wacom user
I didn't sucess to solve the "jump" effect.

As you said, you can setup your desktop to a "widescreen" mode.
But It's not comfortable to work in this mode.

thanks again!
Op

12 December 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread