Beginner Tips

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

02 February 2004
Beginner Tips

If you have any tips for anyone just starting out in Messiah, please share them here.

02 February 2004
From Sil3:

Parent in Place is a feature to parent one item to another but retaining the parented item on the same location, for example:

item A is on 10 Y Axis and item B is on 0 Y Axis

If u parent item A to item B with normal parenting, item A will move into item B pivot point, meaning that item A will be on the exact same spot as item B.

Using Parent in Place, item A will retain the 10 on Y axis but its now a child of item B, if u move item B, item A will move along.

In Messiah to use Parent in Place go to:

Setup Tab---Items---Parent in Place

Then u FIRST choose the item that is going to be the Parent, in this case the item B, then Ctrl select the item to be parented wich is item A, check the Keep Position and press Parent

08 August 2005
Opp found it

It always happens after you post

Last edited by T4D : 08 August 2005 at 02:05 PM.

08 August 2005
When are you going to bring t4D over to Messiah?

Come on man u can do it..............

08 August 2005
only got into to it this weekso give me alittle time ,... this is very cool software tho

I'm sure I'll get around to doing something in it,
Cause i know I'll be speading alot of time with this UI infront of me

11 November 2005
Dual monitor setup.

When you have a dual monitor setup like me (one 17" and one 19" flatscreens), then make sure the screen used for displaying messiah is made the primary screen.

EDIT: I noticed that some Pulldown/Popup Lists did not function properly when displaying messiah on the secundary screen.

Last edited by dOMINUSMess : 11 November 2005 at 02:31 PM.

07 July 2006
Any word on your tools for Messiah

Originally Posted by T4D: only got into to it this weekso give me alittle time ,... this is very cool software tho

I'm sure I'll get around to doing something in it,
Cause i know I'll be speading alot of time with this UI infront of me

Just curious.. saw this post.. You still intend to port your tools to Messiah?

02 February 2004
use parent as align

the parent in (or not in) place can be used as a simple align function. Parent your objects the old way (drag and drop), then unparent checking "keep position" and " keep orientation".

02 February 2004
Armature tip

If you want to see the objects keyframe that the armature is controlling, add a "click...controller select" type and action to the armature. This way it'll show up in the graph editor and you'll be able to manipulate it with the editsphere.

Happy Keying!
-mG

02 February 2004
Sometimes, especially when you're "realtime modifying" bones, the Edit Sphere just gets in the way. Press "Esc" to temporarily hide it. Remember also that the viewport must be active for this to work - meaning click somewhere in the view port.

Second little tip, if you want to center something that's selected in the viewport - press "a".

Third little tip, try right clicking on the main tabs for some extras. For example to get rid of the perspective grid - right click on the "Customize" tab and go to "World Views". And to extend this a little further - to load a clip under the "Compose" tab -first, "Compose" must be selected and then right click on the "File" tab to access this hidden menu.

03 March 2004
For any box where you input numbers e.g. frame, sizes etc. You can do maths in these boxes E.G. Input 2+2 and it'll come to 4.

If you need more complex maths, use brackets. e.g. (2+2+2)/2 will give you 3, whereas: 2+2+2/2 will give you 5 (calculates 2+2 first, then calculates 2/2 and adds seperately.)

05 May 2004
Quote: Originally posted by tuna
For any box where you input numbers e.g. frame, sizes etc. You can do maths in these boxes E.G. Input 2+2 and it'll come to 4.

If you need more complex maths, use brackets. e.g. (2+2+2)/2 will give you 3, whereas: 2+2+2/2 will give you 5 (calculates 2+2 first, then calculates 2/2 and adds seperately.)

That's a good tip. What's not known is that you can also enter any function or variable, as well. For example, set the current frame to something other than 0, then enter NOW into one of the input fields. You'll see the current frame number entered into the field.

Also, create a variable in Command mode, then enter (2+2+2)/2 or any other expression. When you type the variable's name in a numeric input field, the computed value will be returned. You can use this as a method to store named paramters that you can use anywhere in the program that requires numerical values.

-lyle

06 June 2004
Connecting Multiple Items To LightWave

If you often have a lot of items to put into LW, you can multi-select them and run this little script that I've linked to(written by Max Glick). It only works for deformation, not transform. (Deform is what you want if your character's mesh should deform when it's in LW; for example, bones. Transform is for when you want the object as a whole to move/rotate, like a null or a light.)

You can run this script from the script Palette (press F5) by double-clicking on it after you've selected your items, or you can tie it to a keyboard shortcut. (Note: You'll have to restart messiah after you first add the script.)

To make a keyboard shortcut for the script, first make sure the script file is in your messiah/modules/scripts folder, then go to Customize-->KeyCommand Manager.

1) In the Class pulldown, choose Object.

2) In the Name field, put whatever you want to call it, like: Multi Item LW Connect

3) In the Command field, put: fb_HostSelToLW()

4) Press the little [+] button to the right of the Command field.

5) In the list on the left, open the Object list. You'll see your command name there. Select it.

6) In the list on the right select which key you want to use. You can use F12 if you want.

7) Press the Assign Command key. If you used F12 it will warn you, but you can just let it use that.
_______
Fred
Attached Files
File Type: zip messiah_to_lw_script.zip (557 Bytes, 98 views)

Last edited by fwtep : 06 June 2004 at 10:14 AM.

07 July 2004
The following text is from a session on #messiah3d IRC channel.

Lyle showed up and wrote a step by step on how to add Mettaefectors, i took the liberty to edit it and post the info here, wich i believe to be very usefull.

-------------------------------------

<lmilton> 1. Start messiah

<lmilton> 2. Load an object

<lmilton> Go to Setup->Effects and add a BoneDeform effect to that object

<lmilton> 4. add a few bones

<lmilton> 5. Go to Setup->Tools and add a MetaEffector

<lmilton> 6. Add some Effectors

<lmilton> When you create a MetaEffector, you're really creating a "toolbox" that will hold Effectors. So, Select the MetaEffector

<lmilton> 7. Select one of the Bones and hit F3 to expand the interface

<lmilton> 8. Click on the Bone tab, then choose the MetaEffector you created from the weight popup.

<lmilton> Ok, we've already taken care of the Assignment portion. Now it's time to take of the drawing.

<lmilton> While you can add an object directly to the weight drawing list, you can have this taken care of automatically when you select bones.

<lmilton> 9. Click on the Skeleton tab and activate: Auto Draw Weights for Targets.

<lmilton> When you select the bone, it will automatically draw the weight on your object.

<lmilton> So, using this feature, the weight drawing will "automatically" change when you select a bone.

<lmilton> This is only compatible with Weight tools, though. The standard bone weighting doesn't get computed until you leave setup.

<Stoehr> Using connected and all connected falloff options for effectors: Do the connected points have to be seperate object layer, or does it find the points connected, regardless of being in the same object?

<lmilton> All connected will find all those points that are connected. This means that if you have an object that has, say, 2 separate spheres, if you move an effector over one of the spheres, only that sphere will be affectes.

<Stoehr> Does the metaeffector or effector have to be parented to anything in particular? the mesh, bone...?

<lmilton> Nope.

<Stoehr> So I can parent to anything, it's just for my convenience.

<lmilton> Yes.

<Stoehr> very nice.

-------------------------------------

Hope it helps and be sure to visit #messiah3d.

Thanks for the visit and the info Lyle

07 July 2004
messiah:studio2 - Render Settings

As you work with the m:s2 renderer you may come across a great combination of render settings for particular scenes. And then, when you're working with a new scene, you may not remember the right settings to get a particular look. To avoid this problem *always save render settings files*, via the Render->Settings menu.

These ".mren" files include all the params on the Render->Settings Quality, Illumination, Caustics, & Atmosphere which govern the final illumination of your scene. It's a very convenient format that should improve your overall workflow. It's also great for sharing; if you create some really good render settings, don't hesitate to share them with the community

-lyle

reply share thread