mip_fgshooter for 3dsmax?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
mip_fgshooter for 3dsmax?

Hello,
Afaik, flicker free animation in mr and fg is a pain.
I saw a technique to fight flicker in mr:
http://elementalray.wordpress.com/c...y/final-gather/

but this is for maya.
Is there a way to "unhide" such shader in max? Or is it simply available and I didn't see it?

Thank you.

Last edited by boumay : 04 April 2013 at 12:16 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #2
not sure about the shader in Max but the 'work-around' workflow is to render in 3 passes:

Pass 1: render the deforming geometry/hero objects calculating every FG frame with caching OFF.

Pass 2: render the background, setting the caching to 'Single File Only' and 'Incrementally Add FG Points To Map Files' Then set it to render every Nth frame(5 or 10 frames)
Once your FG map is generated switch to 'Read Only From Existing Map Files' and do your full render.

Pass 3: this is your Proximity pass. Apply a 100% illuminated white material to your deforming geometry and link a non-shadow-casting(omni) light with relative falloff to each deforming geometry object. This is so that the objects will interact with the background pass when composited. Also, apply a standard white material to all background objects.

This workflow was developed by Master zap(as far as I know) and used by Blur Studios back when they used MR. I no longer use MR myself and this is an old workflow so maybe somebody more knowledgeable than myself might advise you of a more recent method.

It is a bit of a pain but will result in 100% flicker-free animation. Note however that this method will not work if you have lighting changes in your background(sweeping searchlights, lightning strikes,etc...)

Old 04 April 2013   #3
Hi

you must switch the FG-Mode from "Project FG Points From Camera Position" to "Project Points from Positions Along Camera Path". This option use the mip_fg_shooter Shader and you can save the FG-MAP. This Workflow is for "non dynamic animation", only the camera can move.

look at the 3dsmax help: http://docs.autodesk.com/3DSMAX/16/...mber=d30e532928

PS: If you want a dynamic animation, must you render fg-solution per frame and not save the fg-map.

Last edited by thorsten hartmann : 04 April 2013 at 10:22 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Thank you musashidan for this great technique, I've never heard about it. This is a very good learning for me.
I only have a problem understanding one point:
Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
Pass 3: this is your Proximity pass. Apply a 100% illuminated white material to your deforming geometry and link a non-shadow-casting(omni)

Why illuminating the objects with an omni while they are self-illuminated? Doesn't this suffice to get them interact with the bg?

And thank you thorsten. I knew about "along camera path" option, but I what I want is a dynamic animation with moving objects.

Last edited by boumay : 04 April 2013 at 02:02 PM.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Yes, it is a foolproof workaround. One that Zap Anderson seems to have devised.

The self-illuminated material is a standard material that acts as a matte and the omni gives you the ability to adjust the influence with it's falloff. I've never actually tried it with a light emmiting MR material.

Old 04 April 2013   #6
Thank you.

Old 04 April 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread