XYZ animation then Path constraint

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
XYZ animation then Path constraint

Hi CGSociety

Im trying to animate the box, first i want it to jump up to the path, then i want to animate it along the path with a path constraint, but how do i do that?
It seems like as soon as i have animated the box to jump and i then add the path constraint it overrules the animation i just did.

12 December 2017
Create a dummy-object and give that dummy object the path-constraint. Then link the box you want to animate additionally, to that dummy object.

12 December 2017
But can i animate so that my box grap/links to the "path dummy" at a certain time?

12 December 2017
The Animation "Link constraint" can be turned on and off. In the "link parameters" you link it to both the world and the animated object of interest. You set start times for each entity in the list. When linked to world it is essentially no longer linked to anything.

It is possible to animate the object to do whatever you want, but it should be thought of as a layered animation as it will also do whatever it is linked to if that link is active.

12 December 2017
It can be easier than that. Try this:
Position Controller > Position List Controller
Top Controller: Position XYZ, weight:100
Bottom Controller: Path Constraint, weight: 0
Since the Position List is additive the box will move to the Path as you animate the Path Constraint Weight from 0 > 100.

-Eric

12 December 2017
personally, I prefer the Link Constraint method....cos if you do Position List...it's just Position.....what about follow/banking ? (Orient Constraint ? well now that's 2 things you have to sync)

To me, Link Constraint is more intuitive...

reply share thread