Best 3D Modeling Schools?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

05 May 2015
Best 3D Modeling Schools?

I'm also interested in specifically environment modeling. I know Gnomon has one class. Are there any others?

05 May 2015
This place in San Francisco has a BFA/Masters that has a modeling concentration:

http://www.academyart.edu/academics...raduate-degrees

06 June 2015
Not sure how much you want to study as far as environmental modeling goes...

But AnimSchool offers a 3-month course in Environmental Modeling.

Unfortunately, it's an advanced class, so if you're a beginner, you'll have to go through some of their courses to meet the requisites for their Environmental Modeling class. If not, and you're an experienced modeler, they can place you in the class if you satisfy their requisites.

07 July 2015
Originally Posted by CarlShinyama: But AnimSchool offers a 3-month course in Environmental Modeling.

Unfortunately, it's an advanced class, so if you're a beginner, you'll have to go through some of their courses to meet the requisites for their Environmental Modeling class. If not, and you're an experienced modeler, they can place you in the class if you satisfy their requisites.

I checked their website and it says they only have characters. Is that just a course that I would have to do first?

07 July 2015
Originally Posted by serenatheanimator: I checked their website and it says they only have characters. Is that just a course that I would have to do first?

No, they don't just have characters. Those who are in the 3D Character Modeling program, like myself, take the 3D Environmental class in the 7th term if that's the advanced specialty that they choose.

When you visit the home page, click on "Programs > 3D Character Program." Once you've done that, scroll to the very bottom of the page. You'll see on the right hand side that there's a 3D Environmental Modeling class.

07 July 2015
What is your end goal in wanting to study 3d modeling? Do you want a degree? What do you ultimately want to do with your modeling skills?

07 July 2015
Originally Posted by Array: What is your end goal in wanting to study 3d modeling? Do you want a degree? What do you ultimately want to do with your modeling skills?

I want to make a career out of it, work in movies or video games. I just want to do what I love while making enough to support a family.

07 July 2015
Originally Posted by serenatheanimator: I want to make a career out of it, work in movies or video games. I just want to do what I love while making enough to support a family.

Then, honestly, I would suggest setting your sights on getting into the best fine arts sculpting program that you can find, that or take a lot of traditional sculpting and drawing classes. The best 3D modelers who I know, i.e. folks who do concept modeling for films, have backgrounds in traditional sculpting and will oftentimes create practical, i.e. real world, models as part of their jobs. It should be very easy to translate what you learn in your traditional courses to a package such as ZBrush.

07 July 2015
Youtube university , it's a free tuition.

07 July 2015
Check out Udemy and see what classes they have on there. I have taken some good courses there.

reply share thread