Motion blur with Viewport 2.0

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 03 March 2017   #1
Motion blur with Viewport 2.0

Hey guys,

I've been trying to use the motion blur with the viewport 2.0.
http://i.imgur.com/EnU1ULK.png

I know that viewport 2.0's options are relatively limited but I can't see any difference. And these are frames from an animation, so there is movement and it is quite fast.
Does anyone have experience with that?

Thanks for your time!

Old 03 March 2017   #2
The viewport motion blur only handles transformation animation, not deformation like you typically have with a rigged character so it won't work for this. If you animate something like say a cube flying across the screen you'll see the motion blur but not if it's driven by joints/skinning.

Here I use Redshift as my renderer these days, with a modern GPU it's really fast and gives great motion blur.

This short for example is all Redshift and I used motion blur on it, most noticeable on his hands during the faster moves.

Old 03 March 2017   #3
Oh I see. Cool dance btw.

I'll try adding some motion blur with Arnold then, but can I keep my materials like Blinn and Lambert with that renderer? I like the viewport 2.0 stuff because I can see the result easily.
Thanks Brian.

Last edited by Feast : 03 March 2017 at 09:09 PM.

Old 03 March 2017   #4
Originally Posted by Feast: Oh I see. Cool dance btw.

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to animate and it got a great reaction online which I was very pleased with.

Originally Posted by Feast: I'll try adding some motion blur with Arnold then, but can I keep my materials like Blinn and Lambert with that renderer? I

Sorry no idea, I like VP2.0 too, great for playblasts and tests. For everything else currently I use Redshift. I've never used Arnold, I'm sure there are video tutorials on it out there though.

Old 03 March 2017   #5
Alright.

I cannot really bother myself yet with learning new renderers because I should just produce stuff, but what made you pick Redshift over other renderers if I may ask?

PS: It seems that with Arnold, I can use Lambert with Motion Blur but not RampShaders.

EDIT: I think I'll try Redshift, it seems pretty cool. There's not that many tutorials out there yet apparently though.

Last edited by Feast : 03 March 2017 at 09:34 AM.

Old 03 March 2017   #6
Originally Posted by Feast: Alright.what made you pick Redshift over other renderers if I may ask?

SPEED

Try the demo, it's watermarked but apart from that it's fully featured. The Help is pretty good and there are tutorials out there if you dig, a few on LesterBanks blog recently for example.

Cheers,
Brian

Old 03 March 2017   #7
I'll take a good look at it.

Thanks for the help,
Jeremy.

reply share thread