Joints riding on geometry deformed by blendshapes

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Joints riding on geometry deformed by blendshapes

Hi there peopz!

I am rigging the characters for the Interview bachelor project Storm has been posting about. We're making some squash and stretch facial rig setups, and I was wondering if any of you, could either lead me to a guide or maybe tell me how to make joints/controlls slide on geometry when the face mesh is being deformed with a blendshape. I have seen it very few places, but i would really like to know how.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kasper

01 January 2013
You need to create a live blendshape in your scene which is deformed by a separate joint hierarchy of a root joint and then joints placed matching the controls that you wish to add to the face, skin the live blendshape to the joints and do rough painting for the joints and make sure everything else is painted to the root joint. You need to give your facial controls offset groups and then rivet the offset groups to your rig geometry. Then finally connect the translate of your control to the translate of the equivalent joint effecting the blendshape and assign your live blendshape to your existing blendshape node.

Now when you move your face using blendshapes the controls will move with the face as they are riveted to the geo and when you move the facial controls they will drive the live blendshape which will drive the face geo without giving you a cycle error.

Good luck,

Neil

01 January 2013
works

Thanks Neil, - it was just what I was looking for!

01 January 2013
This tutorial outlines one way of doing it, though I haven't actually tried it for myself. Hope it helps

http://terencejacobson.com/MA391_Lesson8.html

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread