After Effects replacement / Nuke getting cheaper?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
After Effects replacement / Nuke getting cheaper?

Firstly I would just like to make it clear that I am not asking Foundry to lower prices, rather I am just inquiring or pondering about the possibility of things related to this given the current state of the market and change of events concerning Adobe.

We have alot of good photoshop replacements. We have alot of good premiere replacements. Pretty much every adobe app has a good replacement except for After Effects. There is no simple obvious replacement for after effects for doing 3D work.

Which Nuke is of course much better than after effects, but it's of course 5x as expensive. There is simply no way my studio would buy nuke at 5 grand.

It really seems to me there is just not another application to do 3D compositing, some simple rotoing, simple matting and simple motion graphics that is around the same price as After Effects.

I think Fusion is awesome and is of course cheaper than Nuke. But I use OSX so Fusion isn't ideal as it doesn't support OSX, and I also use Modo, which Nuke I assume will merge with better, and the connection between them will be made more straight forward over time.

Which brings me to another point, the Luxology Foundry merger. Luxology has always seemed to be a company which aimed at the more cost-effective solutions, the small studios or individuals. Modo has always been the most cost effective solution for design visualization. But Luxology is now merged with Foundry, which Foundry has always seemed to be the least cost effective solution for anything. Now Modo is probably going to be tighly knit to Nuke (I assume), which is simply going to be weird because Modo is like $1000 now, and comes with a ton of functionality. Whereas Nuke is $5000, and is really only supplemental functionality to Modo if your a 3D artist primarily. So it's going to be that I'm expected to spend $1000 on my primary application which I spend 80% of my time in, then if I want the compositing application best supported by my primary application, I am going to have to spend 5x the cost of my primary application just for the supplemental functionality of Nuke?

The pricing difference seems weird to me, Nuke and Modo seem like AWESOME application to tie together tightly, but the pricing difference makes it not really suiting. What Modo user, used to paying $1000 for 80% of their primary functionality is going to spend 5x for the last 15% of their needed functionality that they'd get from Nuke?

Again I'm not just saying lower prices. Of course it'd be nice. But I'm not expecting this.

This has just been a glaring gap in my brain ever since I moved to Modo, Lux merged with Foundry and I've been seeking an After Effects replacement. I really just don't know what to do or think in this whole territory. Has this been something anyone else has been trying to sort out? What do you think about it?

08 August 2013
How about HitFilm ? It's much cheaper than two.

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread