Model locks up

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

07 July 2014
Model locks up

Hi, I have 6 or so models in one scene that I'm working on, and one model suddenly became unworkable. I mean the model next to it was fine, this model wouldn't let me use any of the sculpting tools, only freeze and grab.
After some messing around with stamps and stencils and deleting the other models this unworkable model suddenly started responding and I could sculpt it's surface again. Really pretty bizarre. Now it seems to be fine with the whole scene reloaded.
Is there any reason why this would happen?

07 July 2014
Actually, it's locking up again. To even manipulate the surface of this object with the sculpt or bulge or any tool, I have to load a stencil and it starts to work for that brush size. If I switch off the stencil and reduce the brush size it stops working, the surface can't be sculpted.

07 July 2014
I'll have to take this up with my subscription support tomorrow. I have 13 models in the scene at various stage of completion, and the models aren't all that complex. For some reason 2 of those models won't allow sculpting, other than freeze/grab and perhaps a few of the non-sculpting tools.

When I do the stencil test, if I have a large brush size I can sculpt a shape on the surface. If I reduce the brush below, I think it's 2.5, it stops working. Same issue on the 2 models mentioned.

It's a real brain teaser.

07 July 2014
what type of setup do you have? do you have any textures painted yet? and are they large 8k, 4k etc...?

you might also want to test by creating a bunch of mudbox spheres, subdivide a bit and see what happens.

i mention it because your models might be problematic in some way. (eg...when i quadrify text in Max and import it into Mud it can get "clunky" for me, even though i've worked with much denser geo's and had no problem.

08 August 2014
Looks like some kind of a bug, something to do with rescaling the model before sculpting it, which I no longer do. Luckily I hadn't gone too far into the model detailing when it froze.

08 August 2014
if you rescale something in mudbox dont forget to do a "freeze transforms"...

08 August 2014
Thanks for following up and letting us know what support said, Camm! That doesn't happen often enough.

reply share thread