Finally getting back to an old project

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Finally getting back to an old project

It's been quite some time since I have actually contributed to the forums. Lately, I have just been doing my images and shopping the Marketplace. I felt it was time to contribute to the forums and inspire/get inspiration from the vibrant community here. Before getting into the actual project, let me give you the specs of the hardware and software I am working with. I have 2 PCs with Athlon FX 8350 8 core processors running at 4.3GHz. My main workstation has 32 GB RAM while the secondary/renderslave has 16GB RAM. Video cards are not too important for working, but the renderslave is hooked to a 46" HDTV which will be used for animation test playback. Both run Windows 7x64 Ultimate and have 2x 500GB HDDs each and the workstation also has another 2TB HDD for storrage. The software to be used is 3DS Max 2012x64, Vue 10 Xtreme, Photoshop CS6, Eyeon Fusion 6.5, and Premiere CS6, VRay 2.4, Symbiont Max for VRay, RealFlow 2012.

Now, onto the project itself. The story was started in 2005 and finished in 2007 in novel format. Then work began on the assets for the movie version using Max 8 with FinalRender. Having since upgraded Max, I began using VRay and have been much happier with the results. You can see the latest in my Gallery with the still work I have done. Being on medical leave from work, I soon got bored and found some previous projects that never went anywhere and got the animation bug once more. I dug out all of the assets for this project and am in the process of converting them all from the old workflow/plugins to the current setup. I have been doing some test renders of one of the smaller scenes and am getting a handle on the workflow between Vue and 3DS Max. I will be posting screen grabs and updates as they come available.

The project is called Starting Over and the story is about just that, but with a nod to the happenings in the Myst game world.

It took a few hours to wrap my head around the workflow using Vue/3DS Max, but I am starting to get it. I decided to start with one of the smaller sets I had created. This particular set is an underground 3-way switching chamber for the maglev car used for transport in this underground labarynth/city (think Myst's D'ni cty as a backdrop). I exported the mesh for the tunnel itself along with the orbs used for lighting from Max so I could bring them into Vue and texture them and light the scene correctly. Once done, I merged that scene with the original in Max. Played around with the pool of water at the switch using a VRaymtl shader downloaded from vray-materials.de. Had to reduce the noise size and strength so the displacement would not be too extreme. The rails are textured with symbiontmax rusty metal shader. Lighting is 3 omnis with a Vue Spetral Model atmosphere for indirect lighting and distance fog.

Image is 640 x 480 (will end up 1920 x1080 when final rendering is done)

I think I may need to cut the fog in half as it is too thick too close. Opinions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test1.jpg (90.1 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by thenodemaster : 08 August 2013 at 01:08 AM. Reason: FOrmatting

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread