IP Incubator Club Thread 2015: Monthly-015: March 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: @shrunkendesigner: My experience with RENGA is positive except that I think it would be better if it fit properly on an HD Screen.

If you plan to implement this game as multiple levels, then it would be better to make sure the falling projectiles don't fall so fast for people starting the game.

I understood pretty much within 2 minutes what I needed to do, hitting spacebar or the Up key eventually I figured it out. A tutorial level would be optional but probably standard these days.

The core gameplay can be quite addictive, but could probably use pick-ups and "blaster upgrades" so you can "keep going" and knock down many rows of blocks for example or shields to add to your 3 hitpoints.

Thanks for playing and giving the feedback. I really appreciate the input and will pass on to Sam.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by redCigarette: shrunkendesigner,
I really like your game. I didn't find it hard to follow. I really like minimalism in the design and gameplay. It's definitely addictive and I will be keeping an eye on this

Thanks for playing it man. Appreciate that.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

03 March 2014
Luna the game

I've been developing concept art and story for a little game for awhile and now looking for a chance to create the game itself. Please have a look.

Luna
action stealth platformer game

A travel through the child's imaginary world.

The story:
Luna and her younger brother living in a little town with their parents. Luna's brother has a very strong imagination. He spends his days in forest playing alone, exploring imaginary landscapes, fighting imaginary monsters and talking to imaginary creatures. Luna and her parents don't pay much attention to the little boy's strange behavior.

But one day the boy disappears. Luna goes to the forest where he usually spent his days, but surprisingly she finds herself not in an ordinary forest but in her brothers imaginary world, filed with strange creatures, creepy monsters and magic.

She now has to enter the unknown, find the way through darkness. save her brother, learn to fly and find the way home.

Concept proof teaser:

Please watch HD on Vimeo

Additional concept art:
https://www.behance.net/gallery/Luna-the-game/14415259

Thanks for the attention and sorry for my english

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 07 July 2014 at 01:32 PM.

03 March 2014
WOW Ok you are getting a Spotlight next month!
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

03 March 2014
@lexandreeff: The tone reminds me a bit of Pan's Labyrinth. Maybe it's all the plant-life creatures. Looks intriguing.

03 March 2014
@lexandreeff - Love the concept and the proof of concept trailer really sells the idea to me. Could you speak towards the style of gameplay? Just curious because there are so many different ways you could present this story through a game. Looking forward to more posts!

03 March 2014
Hey,
I'm happy you liked the concept and it is complete surprise to get a Spotlight next month. Thank you!

@CGIPadawan: Though Pan's Labyrinth is a major inspiration for me, I now aiming at lighter, more fairy-tale atmosphere. Tree creature design emerged from illustration project I did few years ago. I created the design for the mythological creature Krampus, who is very close to Pan. Have a look: https://www.behance.net/gallery/The...raitors/5043971

@grantmoore3d: I'm abit uncertain on gamedesign. Initially I planed to create 3d stealth game, but it is now clear for me that I won't be able to do this alone or with the small team. That's why I decided to stay in 2d platformer. I have few ideas for the game mechanics, but I don't want to make a any final decision until I have few basic prototypes.

One idea is to have main character able to be in two states-common girl and a magic light. Each state has its own advantages. Little girl is less visible and can hide from enemies. Magic light moves fast, and can attak enemies. The right choice of the state for a specific game situation determines players success in the game.
Overall atmosphere is calm not closer to the puzzle than a platformer game.
I now looking for the studio to collaborate on this project.

03 March 2014
@lexandreeff - I definitely like the idea of having her be able to exist in two different states, the little girl & light powered work really well. If I'm honest, I don't necessarily get a platformer vibe from the art you are presenting. I personally would suggest either a 3rd person adventure style game (like Uncharted for example) or a point & click adventure like Monkey Island (which is becoming increasingly more popular lately). Both of those genres in my opinion tend to allow for a more compelling medium for telling a story when compared with a side scrolling platformer, simply because it's easier to imagine the characters as being real people with depth... whereas running sideways, it's difficult to relate. Give it some thought!

Now, another quick update for Hextraction (trying to do these weekly until my Kickstarter launches, to help keep me on track). If you could lend me a future tweet, share or tumble please Visit this ThunderClap.it Page, we're experimenting with a bunch of marketing techniques and could use some help on this one. I'll most definitely be putting together a lengthy blog post about what did / did-not work after we're done and share it here later

Mini-Show & Tell

Player Pods are complete - these ships will be piloted by individually skilled "player characters", each with their own attributes and upgrade-able skills. When they are destroyed, they are gone for good, and you only have a crew of 9 in total. Modeling is finished and I'll be moving on to surfacing, rigging & animation this weekend.

Miscellaneous gameplay, we're building out ONLY what we need to show in the trailer. We don't necessarily want to spend too much time developing the actual game when our primary goal is to market this thing, so what you see are some barebones mechanics we needed to throw together in order to make trailer cuts of gameplay. The aliens are stock and I decided to use them because they are both awesome peices of art and they fit perfectly with what we needed in a tight deadline situation.

03 March 2014
Originally Posted by lexandreeff: I've been developing concept art and story for a little game for awhile and now looking for a chance to create the game itself. Please have a look.

Luna
action stealth platformer game

A travel through the child's imaginary world.

Wow, thats some really nice work there. So glad you decided to start posting in the IP club. Will totally be watching this one develop with interest.

Lloyd Harvey
Twitter Me
www.lloydharvey.co.uk
www.oniworld.co.uk

reply share thread