Haunted Hallway Lighting Practice

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  01 January 2013
Originally Posted by MikeMc: Leigh has some good comments for you; but she also has some pretty discouraging ones too. Take the good ones and use them to improve your work.


I wouldn't say anything about her comments were discouraging at all. I rather wish I had someone willing to tell me something half as authentic as this when I was learning; especially considering the wealth of information provided. Maybe then I would have the actual skills to backup my degree (without feeling like the debt I went into for it was for nothing).

Yes, positive reinforcement is good and makes you feel good about your work and the direction you're heading in; ultimately, it does NOT make you better. If anything, it's probably more damaging than not. Leigh's post should be read as a critique, not a comment -- and maybe that's where I'm not understanding how you took things.

I had to go back and re-read Leigh's post, because I didn't quite get where you were coming from.

Originally Posted by Leigh: Most of this isn't his model, for a start, so no need to comment on it, although if it was his model, it's a very average one. It's neither good nor bad. ... But what I'm getting at here is that to call his model great would be misguiding to the artist. ... The modelling is okay. It does the job, for now. The lighting, however, needs a lot of work.


The paragraph I extracted above is what I presume you're pointing out as the negative side. But for two massive posts of constructive criticism, to call this discouraging is a bit much.

@Irfanil, you'll learn more from a harsh critique than you ever will a pat on the back. Please take my word for it. I rarely (if ever?) comment on other people's works, only because I don't feel I have any place doing so. I'm as much a learner as anyone else... I don't think I've even posted on the forums in well over a year. (or two? x_X) But I've been in your place before, tasting only sugar, and I didn't end up where I wanted to be. Because I didn't have a need to push myself any further than where I was already at. And as a result, I stayed in that same place. And I had to make a career out of a hobby, because I didn't have a portfolio that reflected the "great jobs" I heard all through school.

In any case, sorry to hijack your thread for that. I'll try to critique as well.


I noticed you said your interior was from 3drender.com -- my advice would be to delete it from your scene; for two reasons, primarily.

Reason 1)
Originally Posted by Irfanil: My idea is to show a room where the 'holy grail' is discovered.


This is all you really said when you introduced your WIP. This is certainly "a room", but that's it. Do you have a reason for why the Holy Grail ended up sitting at the base of this staircase? Is there a story that you can tell about this scene? If not, you may want to give it some thought. Where has the chalice been all this time? How did it get to this place.. and why would it be set out in the middle of the floor? I just don't think you're really invested in the room itself, but I could be wrong.

Reason 2) It's not yours. Leigh is right in that it's a rather average model. I honestly think it's something you could remodel in like half an hour with ~10 cubes IF that's really the setting you see your Grail in. Else, why not start with a pedestal or a simple table and a flat background? That way you can focus on getting the Grail and rose to your liking.


For the Grail, if you are intending on it being "The Holy Grail", you may want to reconsider the material it's constructed from. I think most prevailing theories now is that the Cup of Christ would not have been made from gold; but from either wood (also a dying theory, I think), Bronze, or Agate.. But, again, I think artistic interpretation is valid here.


I like the inclusion of the rose, but it feels strange in the scene as it is. It looks rather fake to me. I borrowed a rose from my wife's vase (Shh) to test this before I wrote it to see what the stem would do (looking for that gap between the base of the rose and stem and table. Well, the entirety of the rose collapsed on itself. It doesn't maintain itself fullness when set down, the pedals just fall. ... granted that could be from a lack of flower maintenance, but still.. I think some sense of weight could be added to the rose.


I'll refer you back to Leigh's posts for lighting comments. She's really given you a ton of information and reference, all of which are good. So I would say: utilize it!


Soooo...yeah.. nothing here should discourage you, man. We're all here to learn. We're all here to get better.
__________________
CG Challenge XXV: "B-Movie"
Nikola Tesla and the Fall of the Third Reich
 
  01 January 2013
Originally Posted by MikeMc: Leigh has some good comments for you; but she also has some pretty discouraging ones too. Take the good ones and use them to improve your work. We are all trying to improve ourselves here and also be encouraging to each other. Some of us are further along the path than others. I am still on the starting blocks I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean we can't comment on each others work and discuss it (politely).


according to your website, you're running a training institution teaching numerous graphics packages and appear to have more than a decade of experience in the 3D/2D graphics teaching field, even thigh you are by your own admission a beginner... are you just handing out certificates to people, saying "great work buddy!" and sending them off into a world where they can't find jobs because you didn't actually prepare them properly? Why are you teaching if you are a beginner?

to the OP, I kinda agree with the post above abut the environment. Maybe try using a different, less distracting background for your image, like a cave or something similar. Or maybe in an ancient mud house like they would have had the last supper in... a cave or old dwelling with a hole in the roof could allow yu to create some cool dusty "god rays" shining on thecup which would be appropriate...get creative and try some different ideas. The floor texture in your current image actually distracts somewhat from the cup and rose, as does the shadow cast from the cup. When you have a relatively plain subject like a cup and flower, then using a very simple background is important to keep focus on the subject. And that way you get to use all your own models which increases satisfaction!
 
  01 January 2013
Originally Posted by MikeMc: Leigh has some good comments for you; but she also has some pretty discouraging ones too. Take the good ones and use them to improve your work. We are all trying to improve ourselves here and also be encouraging to each other. Some of us are further along the path than others. I am still on the starting blocks I'm afraid. But that doesn't mean we can't comment on each others work and discuss it (politely).


This isn't a chit chat forum, it's a critique forum; it says it right there in the name, and there was absolutely nothing discouraging in my post whatsoever. To discourage someone is to persuade them to take a negative course of action - everything in my post is about how to take a positive course.

Your post above has the dubious distinction of possibly the most immature thing I think I've ever seen in this WIP forum, and I also have to kinda wonder, like Dan above, why you're teaching when you say you're a beginner and appear unwilling to actually critique work. Handing out verbal lollipops and patting people on the back retards their development and ultimately harms them. Critique is how people learn.
__________________
leighvanderbyl.com
 
  01 January 2013
Last render was kinda flat.
If I were you, I wouldn't use back lighting as the main light, but I would use lighting from left or right that could be from side windows.
I think you need to color your lights a bit. Put some yellow in your main light, and some blue in the diffuse lighting. Also, shadows imho, needs to be much stronger.

Keep us updated!
__________________
Now it's the time to be extreme!
Demoreel
website
 
  01 January 2013
thank you for all your suggestions everyone. I'll definitely study your references leigh and will improve my work.

thank you for the suggestions about environment. I'll just finish this set as a lighting exercise but will start another project on 'The Holy Grail'.

cheers
 
  01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.