Do I Need to be good at drawing to be a 3D Animator?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2012
Red face Do I Need to be good at drawing to be a 3D Animator?

Do I Need to be good at drawing to be a 3D Animator?
I have an associates degree in Simulation and Game development so ive been doing this for a little while and I am now at a 4 year school for my Bachelors degree.
I am not good at drawing. But I'm descent at modeling and would be alright at animating if I had a better teacher. Now before I get flamed for the better teacher remark let me explain. My schools animation program is pretty new, like 2008. My teacher has had no real training in 3d modeling and animation. He can do a few project files from the mastering maya books but ask him anything else and he has no clue. Ive noticed in the more advance 3d Character Animation classes he has pushed more of a focus on concept art and hardly any on actually doing the animations. He claimed that in 5 years the technical skills of maya would be irrelevant because its going to be made so easy anyone could do it (which I find strange because in the 4 years Ive been trying to learn this the only major change I've noticed is the UI color change with one or two additions to the software). These strange comments make me feel like he does not know what he is doing and is trying to distract the students have just started from realizing he really cant teach us what we are suppose to be learning, but I'm not sure at the same time. So I have come here to ask the professionals. Is my poor drawing skills going to make me undesirable for the job I want to do?

10 October 2012
I really hope this is a joke. Go do a search man.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by th3ta: I really hope this is a joke. Go do a search man.

I did, I didnt find anything and for the most part every answer i found on google started with "Im not a professional, but i imagine..... (insert various answers)"

10 October 2012
We've had like 15 posts that ask the exact same question in the last month, all you need to do is search this forum.

The answer is "No, but it may help."

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by RaptorCWS: Is my poor drawing skills going to make me undesirable for the job I want to do?

Many people have so-so or downright poor drawing skills, but manage to model, rig, animate, simulate, light, shade, render, color correct, composite with 3D just fine.

This is because the workflow in 3D software is not dependent or reliant on 2D drawing/sketching in any way.

Being able to draw well is a plus. A good tool to communicate complex ideas to others, if nothing else.

But it isn't a requirement for creating great CG.

10 October 2012
Originally Posted by th3ta: We've had like 15 posts that ask the exact same question in the last month, all you need to do is search this forum.

The answer is "No, but it may help."

Thanks, I guess my search terms were to long so nothing came up, I did not want to ask a super popular question.

Thread Closed share thread