After Bioengineering (ugh) I want to switch to 3d?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by seleneyue:
Is it possible to do just a master's program for 3D, or do I have to go for four years again (not gonna happen)? If there's a master's or equivalent, what are the general prereqs for those with a non-art degree?

We have a year and a half master's degree in 3D visualization here at IUPUI for 10+ years. In fact, almost all our biggest student job landings have happened after this masters degree believe it or not (Pixar, Rhythm and Hues, Firaxis, Zoic Studios, etc.). Those entering the program are from a wide variety of disciplines: from artists to engineers to programmers to graphic designers to photographers, etc. I'm not pimping that specific degree, but there are plenty of 3D master's degrees across the country that students really enjoy taking over a 4 year program, to gain access for some extra time for project ideas, experience, etc. Schooling is certainly not for everyone, nor even a necessity, but some find it invaluable. Good luck.

Last edited by MrPositive : 05 May 2010 at 03:28 PM.

05 May 2010
Originally Posted by MrPositive: We have a year and a half master's degree in 3D visualization here at IUPUI for 10+ years. In fact, almost all our biggest student job landings have happened after this masters degree believe it or not (Pixar, Rhythm and Hues, Firaxis, Zoic Studios, etc.). Those entering the program are from a wide variety of disciplines: from artists to engineers to programmers to graphic designers to photographers, etc. I'm not pimping that specific degree, but there are plenty of 3D master's degrees across the country that students really enjoy taking over a 4 year program, to gain access for some extra time for project ideas, experience, etc. Schooling is certainly not for everyone, nor even a necessity, but some find it invaluable. Good luck.

Good point. Some other masters programs to look into: Academy of Art University, Savannah College of Art and Design, Texas A&M's Viz Lab, there are a bunch more but those are the ones that come to mind first.

05 May 2010
thanks guys, you've been extremely helpful.

I'm going to spend summer brushing up on basics, then work on building my reel before choosing a school.

05 May 2010
Im another engineering refugee :D

hello, I am moving from Aerospace engineering to cg as well. I haven't finishes my AE degree, but after working for a major firm for 6 months on an internship, it became clear that i would be miserable with that line of work.

now im working on a CA degree and am liking it so far, though the traditional art side is not been easy due to lack of experience.

05 May 2010
It's nice that you have it figured out before you have wasted too much time. I wish I had switched much much sooner, since tuition is expensive.

05 May 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread