Separated parts in an OBJ import

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2007
Separated parts in an OBJ import

Hi guys. Sorry for my newbie question, I didn't find an answer for this using the search.

I'm importing an OBJ into Silo, but I don't see how I can separate the parts of mesh. For example, the gloves, shoes, etc of the char are separated parts on Maya, but when I import into Silo, it gives me me a single mesh. Any easy way to separate the parts or should I export those parts separated, from Maya?

06 June 2007
Select the object, right click and use "Break" (in Silo 2).

06 June 2007
Thanks for your reply, John. I tried but it didn't work. I'm aware of break operation, but in both, 1.4 or 2.0 versions, you must to select the faces you want to separate. I was looking for something like the "separate" command of Maya, just one click and all individual shells are separated. In Silo you have the command Merge Objects, but I didn't find the opposite operation. If any of you know, please give me a clue.

06 June 2007
There isnt any such command in Silo that you are looking for.You will either use "break" command or import your models one by one.(You should export them also from maya 1 by 1)

06 June 2007
Thanks, Metabaron. I've already figured this out.

06 June 2007
This is odd... in Silo 2, selecting an object composed of multiple shells and useing break to break them apart should work. It works for me.

06 June 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread