Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Daniel Lieske

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2008
Uplift Universe - Image Entry: Daniel Lieske

Daniel Lieske is entered in the "Uplift Universe Challenge" update: View Challenge Page

Latest Update: Final Image: Saving The Alien Girl

03 March 2008
The captain looks great, lots of personality, and the scene sketch looks nice as well, i like the colors. Good luck

03 March 2008
Cool stuff, Daniel! I'm sure this will look great in the end! Can't wait to see more.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

03 March 2008
Thanks everyone for the encouragement!

@ vmulligan:

Thanks for your input! I understand your scepticism concerning the theme. The 'damsel in distress' is quite an old fashioned idea. Nevertheless I'm still fascinated by artwork featuring this theme. Perhaps that is because of it's very simpel and archetypical nature. For me, by the way, this theme is not so much about 'man saving woman' but more about 'man mastering his fear in order to help the weak'. Of course I do not want to pretend that I'm going for deep meaning in this peace but I think that my point of view will show in the details.

Right now I'm thinking about how I might be able to break the strong man/woman/sexuality connotation. Captain Orion is not the type pf guy who breaks women's hearts. The beard lets him appear a bit old and his struggle to save the girl should appear more to be a fatherly impuls. Perhaps I can support this point of view if I make the girl a child. That should break the sexual connotation and support the theme of the 'hero doing good without fear'.

I think I will experiment in this direction. Thank you again, for the input!

Concerning the legs: I guess the view does not show it quite right at the moment. The monster has very long feet at the moment. I think the beast's anatomy should become more clear with the details.

Last edited by digitaldecoy : 03 March 2008 at 09:28 AM. Reason: typo

03 March 2008
Thumbs up

I like this new shot in 3d, you can see the type of energy that your trying to set up, which has whet my appetite for more ..

I love the fact that he is Irish..i instantly heard Ardal O'hanlon, who played Father Doogle McGuire from 'Father Ted'..so that inadvertently brought in a humerous context for me..

Interesting thoughts on changing the damsil to a child..

Now i know you are taking this subject matter very seriously, but when i read about your proposal to shift the context..I instantly thought of a "roles reversal" (no not a rolls can-hardly *snorts*)

Where the hero is being rescued by the child, and the Alien is retreating in fear..that would be an interesting shot, for not only is it a parody of the "Damsil" situation but it knocks on the door of kids being scared of the closet monster or the one under the bed, If you know what i mean?...of course that changes the ambience from tension to humour..

anyways, mighty fine work so far!!.

Marley

UPLIFT CHALLENGE

B-MOVIE

NVart Competition

KING
PHARAOH
GOLIATH

Last edited by LightSovereign : 03 March 2008 at 11:33 AM.

03 March 2008
hi there,

yeah, King Kong in space.
The layout looks good already.

About that damsel in distress - theme: How about switching the man and the woman?
I'd find that more interesting.

But this will be good anyways

03 March 2008
Originally Posted by digitaldecoy: Thanks for your input! I understand your scepticism concerning the theme. The 'damsel in distress' is quite an old fashioned idea. Nevertheless I'm still fascinated by artwork featuring this theme. Perhaps that is because of it's very simpel and archetypical nature. For me, by the way, this theme is not so much about 'man saving woman' but more about 'man mastering his fear in order to help the weak'. Of course I do not want to pretend that I'm going for deep meaning in this peace but I think that my point of view will show in the details.

Right now I'm thinking about how I might be able to break the strong man/woman/sexuality connotation. Captain Orion is not the type pf guy who breaks women's hearts. The beard lets him appear a bit old and his struggle to save the girl should appear more to be a fatherly impuls. Perhaps I can support this point of view if I make the girl a child. That should break the sexual connotation and support the theme of the 'hero doing good without fear'.

I think I will experiment in this direction. Thank you again, for the input!

Ah, I can respect that. Best of luck in developing this idea!
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

03 March 2008
Amazing technique

Thats a really interesting way of working, working up your concepts in 2d then sculpting in 3d. Looking forward to more.

03 March 2008
Time for some replies!

@ LightSovereign & RoGreg:

Nice thoughts about the theme but I don't think that I will drive the artwork into comical grounds. It's perhaps a bit strange but I like these modern myths. Besides, there has allready formed a little story about this artwork in my head.

@ ScottC:

Yes, I used the Transpose Feature a lot for bringing the figures into their poses.

@ tkier:

Thanks! I'm wondering what the final piece will look like, too.

@ RupertD:

Indeed, it's really an interesting workflow. Like I mentioned above somewhere, it's the first time, I do a scene like that. Normally I'm used to a 2D Workflow and I encountered several interesting points in working in 3D.

The most interesting thing for me at the moment is, that everday I open the scene, I find a new detail which does not look quite perfect. After I posted the last version for example, I found out, that it would look much better, if the right hand of the monster would form a straight line with the forearm. This way it would much better convey the feeling, that the monster is hanging with his weight on this hand.
In 2D terms, having allready rendered the muscles and everthing would make it quite tedious to change such a detail. In 3D it's just bending things right into place and you're done. For me that means that I can work on details although the pose might not be perfect yet. It does not hurt to make changes and that's quite fascinating.
Another point is, that in 2D I tend to overlook problems in the construction or anatomy after a few hours. I need days and days until I have regained an objective eye on my work. I do not have this problem in 3D so much, I think. Perhaps it's because you always see your work from different views and there's no single view the eye can get used to. Together with the possibility to change things fast, this really helps me to push the boundary I think.

Ok, enough thinking - back to work!

04 April 2008
Thumbs up

Wowee! Great details in the sculpting. Love the tree and the monster! Everything looks very organic and natural.

Absolutely beautiful work!

Keep it up!!

Dimitrij.

Uplift Universe

Gnothi seauton

04 April 2008
Hello Daniel,
I don't know which is better, your 2D or 3D, their both exceptional.I love your concept, and your color pallette you've chosen. No critiques just praise at this point. Excellent work. Brad

Brads Uplift Thread

04 April 2008
@ Drikus:

That's really a good point. I have to think about that. For me it's totally clear of course - he's going to attack. But you are right, that's not the only possibility to come up with when you look on the picture unbiased. I have to digest on that one a bit, I guess.

What I know is, that I like the right hand in this position. So I tend to experiment with the gesture of the left hand.

05 May 2008
Hey Daniel,

Fantastic finish! Very Beautiful piece of art. Best of luck to you.
Brad

Brads Uplift Thread

05 May 2008
Very nice. You're quite the talented illustrator. I very much like the way the piece turned out.
Strange Behaviour animation and still.
Eon animation and still.

06 June 2008
Congrats on this. You created some really nice models.

Thread Closed share thread