Bergquist Game Entry! Muwahaha!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #76
Hey Etsu,
Thank so much for your kind words!

This new Unity project, The Desert Swamp, will be a full game
With a brilliant story line and full of adventure!

I'm going to begin by creating the Environment for the starting lands.
After the starting lands I will make a new Thread in the Forum
for their Kingdom, and then the Dungeon!

With the help of everyone's critiques and comments during the Environment creation,
I will then start creating the main storyline while focusing on how it will effect gamePlay in Unity.

Enjoy the ride!
- Bergquist

Old 11 November 2013   #77
Hello Everyone!

The Post-Challenge game project is chugging away!

If you haven't seen it yet, the thread is
The Desert Swamp | Unity Environment WIP

This week I've started working on Quest Concepts & Story Line Points!
mainly one involving a giant Stone Golem
I want giant landscape features to be an active part of the game's story and quests.
For this quest,
I want the Golem to be slightly immortal.
The catch to the Golem's mortality will be his heart.
The still beating Stone Heart of the Giant Golem will not be in the golem's chest, but somewhere else on the island. So to defeat the golem you must figure this out based on the clues given during the quest and have already found and destroyed its heart.

As I was kind of lost in space thinking about this idea,
I went ahead and created the Stone Heart! hehe

Do you guys think that sounds like a fun idea?

Over this next month as I complete the game world's first environment,
I'll be continuing to work on Story Concepts and Plot line points,
so if anyone wants to share an idea or quest concept I'm all ears!

Thanks Everyone!
- Bergquist

Old 11 November 2013   #78
I like the idea. A lot.

I don't know how your game it's going to work, but when I heard that part "to defeat the Golem you must to do it through his heart" (obviously, I heard it slightly differently to the way in which you said it xD), I thought in a little girl, giving the Golem a flower, and realizing that he is good inside.

I don't know, but I like the idea of that kind of stuff hidden inside the game. What if, during the course of the game, the player character can find that the Golem is not bad, and finds a way to make peace with him? You have to be a smart player if such a possibility is not obvious. But, on the other hand, what if, after you defeat the Golem, you discover that he wasn't bad at all, and there was a reason for him to do what he did, as in the story of Androcles and the Lion? Then you have tragedy.

I like that kind of thing. Not just one path but two, or even many. In one, you defeat a greate enemy, an inmortal Golem, destroying his heart made ​​of rock, and earning a strong reputation because of it. In another, you make yourself a powerful ally and friend, one willing to return the favor in difficult times. And thus the player is creating his own story through his decisions, rather than being a mere witness of it.

Of course, none of this have to be appropriate for the kind of game you have in mind. Are just things that occur to me and I think that can generate a better experience, though clearly increase the difficulties for you, as you have to consider several possibilities instead of just one.

Old 11 November 2013   #79
Etsu, You're Brilliant

Those are absolutely excellent ideas!
I like the secondary plot idea of "taming" the golem, or making friends so to speak

And I absolutely love the idea of have both in the story, the choice aspect, and the reasons for both are great too(fame and help from a race or city, and the alternative quest of making the golem an ally)

This is definitely making it in the game!

The game by the way will be an over the shoulder Shooter/Melee/Magic RPG (DarkVoid like perspective)
I would also like to make it an MMO but I'll have to do all the socket programming myself or find a friend who will.. so... we'll see about that part

Thanks again man!
- Bergquist

PS
my girlfriend just commented that it reminded her of the little girl on the Grinch Stole Christmas, Cindy Loo Who
who tamed the Grinch

Last edited by Bergquist : 11 November 2013 at 04:06 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #80
Good Afternoon CGS,

Well, I have discovered a little set back with my new Unity Game...

When I build my game for Unity Web Player, The skydome turns black.
No fog, no dome texture, no nothing....

Here is what it looks like

...Any Suggestions?

Thanks everyone,
- Bergquist

Edit:
So, I've discovered that the Unity Web Player just doesn't like my cloud layer, and without it my bloom script is turning the dark blue sky straight black...

So due to other issues with my bloom script as well, I've decided to remove it.

This fixed the black, but now I have to figure out why Unity Web Player doesn't like my cloud shader...

Edit 2:

I finally got the sky working in the Unity Web Player!

Not really sure why it wasn't working to begin with, but I ended up having to recreate the whole cloud layer from the model up... But its just a squished half sphere, so not really stressful there, hehe
I also did everything the same way I did it the first time, so again not really sure what fixed it either, but apparently there was a "hick-up" somewhere in the chain.

Now I'm working on my new website so everyone can play the demo and you see the Clouds for yourself!

Now, Each new update in my Environment WIP thread will be playable!
Check it out!
- Bergquist

Last edited by Bergquist : 12 December 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Old 12 December 2013   #81
Happy Holidays CGS!
If you've been following my Unity Development progress,
then I have great news!

This Christmas I bring to you, a Webpage! hehe
with your long awaited Unity goodies

You can now see my Animated Sky & Cloud Layer
for yourself in the Unity Web Player Demo!

Make Sure to see all the New Updates to this project
in its very own CGS Thread
The Desert Swamp | Unity Environment WIP

& If you see anything to critique on,
please feel free to leave a comment!

Thank you Everyone! & Happy Holidays!
- Bergquist

Last edited by Bergquist : 12 December 2013 at 01:40 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #82
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread