WIP Goku from DBZ

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Smile WIP Goku from DBZ

Hello Guys, thats my first post and also first time organic modeling experience so please go easy on me. I 'll highly appreciate all comments and criticism so do comment and help me to improve...
References are bit off but I managed with that and here I get so far, still working so please help me to correct what am I doing wrong.
I am using Autodesk 3DS Max 2014 student version.

Old 12 December 2013   #2
DB style is really cool and I love it! Sometimes I'm thinking about to move some character from cartoon to 3D world but unfortunately I don't have a time for it.

Looking on your screens I can notice 3 things:

1. Proportions and geometry aren't correct with reference which you're using.
2. Model of head is resembling more UFO than Goku.
3. Your style isn't correct with DB style. DB style have very sharp geometry, your is too rounded.

Here is a tip:
To make edges sharper in high-poly models, use chamafer tool like that:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aPc7DZmpJo

Don't be scary to use it too much. In this style the more sharp edges the better!

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

Old 12 December 2013   #3
Thank you very much for your feedback, I was looking forward to someone's foresight to tell me where I am doing wrong. I got your point and soon post some images. Again thank you very much for your feedback.

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Here are some more WIP's

Old 12 December 2013   #5
Thanks for your feedback WaterDrinker, it is quite useful as I'm newbie and need to learn more stuff like more about anatomy and different genre style. I will work on more what you said and try to achieve more likeness of the reference.

Old 12 December 2013   #6
I'm glad for possibility to help you

I think ears could be a little less.

And now there is a very important question: Do you want to create your own semi realistic character based on DB style or do you want to move DB style from 2D to 3D exactly as it is?

If first then you're going to right direction.

If second you should change a way of thinking. You're trying to do it too much realistic. Look at here:

This style have low amount of details e.g.: there aren't any nostrils. Try to think about it as high-poly model stylized as low-poly and don't forget about sharp edges and geometry.

All you need is to meet
The GarageFarm.NET

Old 12 December 2013   #7
Thank you for your time again WaterDrinker . I'm going for a semi-realistic face instead of the exact copy of 2d. As I'm learning topology now a days so I'm just sticking to the basics. I've not huge background of traditional art so I'm just learning few things from there also. Anyway thanks again and what about the ears. Should I make them little smaller or little bit inside towards the head. And of course I need little bit more geometry around edges to make them more hard, I'm working on it. Thank you.

Old 12 December 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread