The next big cg movie franchise

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
The next big cg movie franchise

Since there's so much discussion here about the state and the future of animated movies, everything disney/pixar/dreamworks etc. and hollywood in general, I felt this brilliant piece should be brought to your attention:

http://vimeo.com/74868773

Watch the board meeting in which the next cg franchise is born: "We give you ... 'Boats'."

edit: somehow I missed the "embed vimeo video" button last time

Last edited by archaeotect : 10 October 2013 at 09:21 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
That was actually pretty funny. Thanks for sharing. But in all seriousness I have often wondered what was behind some of their ideas. Now please understand, I am not knocking Pixar. I just think it would be interesting to go behind the scenes as they formulate their ideas. I have a sneaking suspicion that it would be just as funny as that video

Old 10 October 2013   #3
I think this has been posted elsewhere on CGS with an equally misleading subject line, but it's still sort of funny even if it's a little too coy. What's funny is, all Pixar movies share similar bloodlines in terms of story. There is most definitely a "Pixar style," if you will. So their options at this point are, do they use an existing franchise to tell the story of an underdog who confronts his fears and overcomes them, or do they spend a lot of time and money coming up with new characters and settings to tell the story of an underdog who confronts his fears and overcomes them? If I worked there (I don't) and was a parent (I am), I'd be pretty psyched to tell my son I was working on the next Cars or Boats or Planes or Garbage Trucks or whatever. The truth is, whenever they deviate from their tried & true formula, they veer off the rails (Wall*e, Brave, Up)

Old 10 October 2013   #4
I'd say well under half of Pixar's films are underdog stories. There's Ratatouille, Bug's Life, Wall-e, and Monster's University (and in Monster's University, the underdog has to do some major expectation-adjustment, which is pretty unusual in that genre). If anything, Pixar's formula is about someone on top having to learn to deal with the possibility of losing that position (all three Toy Stories, Incredibles, Cars, Monsters, Inc, and to a lesser degree Finding Nemo).

Also, I'm pretty sure you're in the minority in thinking that Wall-E and Up were misses. Granted both had second acts much weaker than their first, but I'd still consider them firmly among Pixar's better movies.

Last edited by Meloncov : 10 October 2013 at 06:56 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Quote: I think this has been posted elsewhere on CGS with an equally misleading subject line

Sorry if that's the case, I did a search for "boats" on the general forum which didn't turn up anything.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
not sure if this is true or not but i read on another forum that a cars 3 might be in the works.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Originally Posted by DuttyFoot: not sure if this is true or not but i read on another forum that a cars 3 might be in the works.

Ed Catmull has said that the plan is to release a sequel every other year. Finding Dory is set for 2016, so a Cars 3 in 2018 seems fairly likely.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
See.. they totally missed the point... What you want to do is make a film where the Boats are all de-commissioned old things that are meant for the scrap heap but realize they are important again when an alien invasion threatens the world.

The catch? The aliens are afraid of water! So when they're faced with water they don't want to go in, right? so their UFO fighters turn into "skating attack robots" ... so they skate over the water like it's an ice rink?

And of course the secret to defeat the aliens is an old powerful SUBMARINE who was de-commissioned years ago and sunk to the bottom..... He feels humanity is ungrateful so why should he come back to help them?

But of course he does, when little "Jibb" gives him that speech!
And the Submarine is Russian... voiced by Sean Connery. See? How original is that?

"Ka-ching!"

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
Yeah everytime I see one of these fluffy franchises pop up I think what the clip portrayed. Not having kiddies would help I suppose.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Quote: The catch? The aliens are afraid of water! So when they're faced with water they don't want to go in, right? so their UFO fighters turn into "skating attack robots" ... so they skate over the water like it's an ice rink?

And of course the secret to defeat the aliens is an old powerful SUBMARINE who was de-commissioned years ago and sunk to the bottom..... He feels humanity is ungrateful so why should he come back to help them?

And the Submarine is Russian... voiced by Sean Connery. See? How original is that?

"Ka-ching!"

my god man, why are you giving away this amazing story

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Talking

Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: See.. they totally missed the point... What you want to do is make a film where the Boats are all de-commissioned old things that are meant for the scrap heap but realize they are important again when an alien invasion threatens the world.

The catch? The aliens are afraid of water! So when they're faced with water they don't want to go in, right? so their UFO fighters turn into "skating attack robots" ... so they skate over the water like it's an ice rink?

"Ka-ching!"

That sounds like a Kickstarter winner!

Old 10 October 2013   #12
Quote: Albatross: "There's no way for us to find Kirov. He's somewhere in the bottom of the Pacific. The Russians de-commissioned him years ago."

Flipper: "But he was a war hero. A Russian super Akula Sub"

Albatross: "Blame Glasnost."

Flipper: "Well if we can't find Kirov, then Earth is lost."

Jibb: "Unless... We sink."

Flipper: "Yeah, that's exactly what's going to happen. Those UFO weapons can do nasty things to our hulls."

Jibb: "No.... We sink. We sink ourselves and look for Kirov at the bottom."

Quote:
Albatross: "Damn, he's huge..."

Jibb: "Guys, meet Kirov."

Kirov: "Preevyeht, my little friends."

Flipper: "Hooray! The Earth is saved!"

Kirov: "Well sure, if I can remember how all my weapons work. Or if they ever worked at all..."

Jibb: "What are you talking about? We've heard all about you! You were Russia's largest sub during the Cold War!"

Kirov: "Which is exactly the point you little schooner..... It was the Cold War.... All we ever did was stare at the enemy."

Flipper: "The Earth is doomed."

Yeah.... what a winner.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread