Planes: Fire & Rescue Trailer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 02 February 2014   #1
Planes: Fire & Rescue Trailer

Well Planes made a ton of mollah...

link
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2014   #2
Looks like perfectly serviceable kiddie-fare, but that power-ballad music is awful.

Old 02 February 2014   #3
When something is successful you have to make another one. That's the nature of the business.

It's how you appease the beast.

Old 02 February 2014   #4
One big problem I see is two conflicting styles. While the background looks old and almost painted, the foreground(the planes mostly) is all shiny like a sports car. Its a very distracting problem to me.

and yes, that music is horrible.

They should have done a direct to video like they said they would.

Old 06 June 2014   #5
"Drop the Needle" Clip - Planes: Fire & Rescue

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CC4sfAa2jNY#t=30
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 08 August 2014   #6
I just came from watching PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE and I must say a number of things surprised me:

1) The movie definitely came off with a strong 70's inspiration. The main platform is basically a Disney film story about overcoming a character challenge, and growing into a better person for others. But there was an inspired choice to channel a 1970's vibe (non-literal) with the style of dialogue. I was wondering why it felt like "an older movie", until I realized the film was actually a homage to the 1970's disaster films. Astute film buffs will note the similarities in the plot around the film's climatic Grand Fusel Lodge forest fire to THE TOWERING INFERNO - complete with some aspect of community government politics and corporate (bad) decision making leading to large scale disaster. I found the level of ambition surprising considering the first PLANES movie I heard didn't try a lot of things with the plot.

2) Visually the film I think got better in final print compared to trailers. This is not a pixel-by-pixel verification. It just felt like it was already theatrical quality and not Direct-to-DVD which is the norm for DisneyToon Animation. Either that, or the bar in Direct-to-DVD is higher now than previous.

3) The film is credited to DisneyToon Studios Animation, which I always thought was based in Glendale, California. But ALL the artists, designers, and TD's had Indian names. The only non-Indian names were voice actors, Sound, writers, Producers, and some Post-Production people. A quick browse at IMDB reveals that Prana Studio (Mumbai, India) was listed as a Production Company. But if we presume all the Indians came from Prana, then Prana actually did the entire movie! That would actually sort of make PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE one of the best Indian CG animated films ever made.

Also: Disney outsourcing animation now too? Really?

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 08 August 2014 at 06:42 AM.

Old 08 August 2014   #7
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: 3) The film is credited to DisneyToon Studios Animation, which I always thought was based in Glendale, California. But ALL the artists, designers, and TD's had Indian names. The only non-Indian names were voice actors, Sound, writers, Producers, and some Post-Production people. A quick browse at IMDB reveals that Prana Studio (Mumbai, India) was listed as a Production Company. But if we presume all the Indians came from Prana, then Prana actually did the entire movie! That would actually sort of make PLANES: FIRE AND RESCUE one of the best Indian CG animated films ever made.

Also: Disney outsourcing animation now too? Really?

My understanding is that the bulk of pre-production is done in Glendale, then production is handled by Prana in India.

Old 08 August 2014   #8
So the assets were designed and created in the U.S. while Prana did the actual keyframing, lighting, and rendering?

Or perhaps the off-shoring began with the character modeling and rigging? (since I think that takes longer per man to do than keyframing).

Is this like some kind of modernized version of the 1980's Animation model? (ie: Key frames done by lead artist in Japan or U.S. with outsourced labor doing in-betweens)

Old 08 August 2014   #9
I'm not sure about any of the details; all I really know is that all the job posts I've seen from them state-side are for pre-production roles.

Old 08 August 2014   #10
Originally Posted by Meloncov: I'm not sure about any of the details; all I really know is that all the job posts I've seen from them state-side are for pre-production roles.

Interesting.

Old 08 August 2014   #11
Disney has used Prana for long time.
FIrst Planes was done there.
All Mickey Mouse Club House was done there.
Tinkerbell CG movies were also done there.

Old 08 August 2014   #12
Originally Posted by gandhics: Disney has used Prana for long time.
FIrst Planes was done there.
All Mickey Mouse Club House was done there.
Tinkerbell CG movies were also done there.

Yes, I was doing a bit more research and saw how far Prana has come since KOOTCHIE KOOTCHIE HOTA HAI.

The TINKERBELL animations I think were a breakthrough for them. They look really appealing.

Prana has come so far from the quality of KOOTCHIE to the extent they no longer list KOOTCHIE as one of their projects. :P

reply share thread