Tears of Steel - Blender Foundation's fourth short Open Movie

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #31
I both liked and cringed at the movie. Some parts looked great and the story was stirring at certain points too. Other parts seemed quite unfinished. And, the story was in total as strange as I've come to expect from a Blender film. That all said, it's hard to complain at such a large and collaborative effort like this.

The one thing I will say is that none of the renders from out of Blender struck me as close to photo real. I don't know if that was down to the shaders used, or lighting, but things looked obviously CG.

Old 09 September 2012   #32
Originally Posted by DePaint: Pretty good for a Blender production. Now if only I could get used to Blender's UI...

People still complain about that?
I mean sure I had a deep hatred for Blender back in the day because of it but since 2.49 I tried it again and the 2.5x releases have totally revamped the UI for the better. Sure it takes a bit getting used to(like any 3D app I would imagine) but I had no more trouble getting used to Blender now than I did when going from 3DSMax to XSI.

Last edited by XeroWolf : 09 September 2012 at 06:05 PM.

Old 09 September 2012   #33
As far as the movie goes, I think the quality was fine for TV. Granted there were parts that stood out that could be addressed however over all the team did a great job.

On the UI side of things, previous versions just straight up confused me and I stayed away from it. A few months ago I gave it another go and invested time in tutorials on youtube and even bought a book on Blender. The 2.63 release is actually pretty good and I'm starting to like it more than 3DS.

Old 10 October 2012   #34
vfx looked pretty good to me, defo okay for tv show or game cut scene and probably lower budget feature films...to think that it's NOT just a 3d app...it's a tracker, compositor and video editor...your getting quite an app for your money...$0.00

other than the zero cost f the app i wonder how efficient/fast blender is to use in production compared to say lightwave or 3dsmax?

nice one.

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"

Old 10 October 2012   #35
Originally Posted by cresshead: vfx looked pretty good to me, defo okay for tv show or game cut scene and probably lower budget feature films...to think that it's NOT just a 3d app...it's a tracker, compositor and video editor...your getting quite an app for your money...$0.00

other than the zero cost f the app i wonder how efficient/fast blender is to use in production compared to say lightwave or 3dsmax?

nice one.

I think it could be pretty good and some studios like ProMotion in Australia already use Blender in their workflow.

But some studios already with existing workflows and with competencies in entrenched 3D software will probably find the transition difficult.

It will have to be on a case to case basis.

Old 10 October 2012   #36
Agreed, established studios will probably never adopt Blender, especially when you consider the amount of in-house software and pipeline development that is already in place. However, if someone were establishing a small studio that did smaller, more niche, work... I'd say considering Blender as a cost-saving measure would be a good idea. Especially given a piece like this that proves you can produce quality work with it.

Old 10 October 2012   #37
Originally Posted by Toonman2: [...]Blender has the most horrible UI in any 3D app I've had to use.[...]

This is a common statement from beginners of the blender software, which I find awfully strange since my own experience is the complete opposite. When I began with 3D modelling we got to use 3DSM, Maya and Blender in that course and I preferred Blender BECAUSE of it's UI. And now I'm talking of the 2.4x series, so that's probably saying a lot. But to each his own I guess.

I wonder if that makes a difference when judging which has the better UI, either going from knowing no 3D software when learning Blender or have become accustomed to another software like Maya or Max BEFORE learning Blender?

Old 10 October 2012   #38
Originally Posted by klesus: I wonder if that makes a difference when judging which has the better UI, either going from knowing no 3D software when learning Blender or have become accustomed to another software like Maya or Max BEFORE learning Blender?

It may be the core of the whole issue. Blender (despite its Amiga roots) was incubated within the Linux community which wasn't the preferred OS of designers at the time. It's not that blender implemented things incorrectly, but there are many conventions of Win/Mac software which were ignored through its maturation. For example there is the minor issue of the Y/Z swap in relation to, I believe, every other program I use. And I also really never understood why it always opened with a cube in the center of the workspace. Is it to encourage box modeling? To give a sense of scale? I've always thought a default purple cube seemed strange.

I have wondered many times how quickly I might have become comfortable with blender had I cut my teeth on it vs. the ancient pre-Truespace version of Caligari I used in the '90s. I'm sure my familiarity with that program is largely why I still find Wings so comforting. Of course Wings being strictly a modeler does make it very easy to navigate.

Old 10 October 2012   #39
Originally Posted by klesus: This is a common statement from beginners of the blender software, which I find awfully strange since my own experience is the complete opposite. When I began with 3D modelling we got to use 3DSM, Maya and Blender in that course and I preferred Blender BECAUSE of it's UI. And now I'm talking of the 2.4x series, so that's probably saying a lot. But to each his own I guess.

I wonder if that makes a difference when judging which has the better UI, either going from knowing no 3D software when learning Blender or have become accustomed to another software like Maya or Max BEFORE learning Blender?

It's all Einstein Relativity.

In my opinion XSI has the worst UI. Terrible. Don't know how people can work with a 3D app that has no 3D cursor.

But see? I'm sure the XSI users don't feel that way.

At the University, I was told that knowing how to "Un-Learn" was as important as "Learning". So that's something people going into Blender from other 3D apps should bear in mind.

I'm sure I could have liked XSI if I stayed on it longer... but Blender met my production objectives... So I don't have to at this point.

Last edited by CGIPadawan : 10 October 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #40
While I didn't use trueSpace for most of its lifespan, I unfortunately did buy it right before it became a free program.

I think it was about one or two versions away from becoming the program I had always wanted. I'm one of those people who still use Poser for some things, though It's hardly my dream program. Had trueSpace development continued, I think it would have been possible to load Poser/Daz content in (with morphs) and to animate in near-realtime. I think there would likely have been more post-effects also, just having DoF in the viewport would have made the realtime quality useable for some of the projects I've wanted to undertake.

BTW, I have only bought a handful of Poser items over the years as I'm capable of making most things (aside from figures) on my own. I got into FX through stop motion and would like a program that allows figures and props to be easily re-used (but not significantly altered) once set-up. I don't know that I want every feature of a program available to me at all times.

R.I.P. trueSpace. I wish it had not gone away mid-metamorphosis.

Last edited by moogaloonie : 10 October 2012 at 02:03 AM. Reason: punctuation

Old 10 October 2012   #41
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: At the University, I was told that knowing how to "Un-Learn" was as important as "Learning". So that's something people going into Blender from other 3D apps should bear in mind.

I wish I had been told that. That's actually a problem for me in general. If I mishear a name during an introduction, I'm likely to continue to recall the wrong name.

Maybe that's why I've always found zBrush intimidating. If I ever did learn it, could I then unlearn it when the next big thing comes along?

This is why I use many smaller dedicated programs with relatively self explanatory interfaces.

Old 10 October 2012   #42
Originally Posted by moogaloonie: I wish I had been told that. That's actually a problem for me in general. If I mishear a name during an introduction, I'm likely to continue to recall the wrong name.

Maybe that's why I've always found zBrush intimidating. If I ever did learn it, could I then unlearn it when the next big thing comes along?

This is why I use many smaller dedicated programs with relatively self explanatory interfaces.

If I had to peg down the one thing I know how to do. It's Learning and Un-Learning. That sort of explains how I came to grips with Blender, XSI, and currently I'm participating in some "R&D" with my team using Blender 2.63 (REVERSION was all 2.49b).

With XSI I did complete a CG Challenge entry (still render) with it but I didn't see any "strategic value" in it so I'm stopping it for a while. It was something about "People from the future invading Earth in the past"....

Anyways...

It's not too late to be able to pick up the skill though. You sort of have to go back to a place in your mind where everything is new again.

A lot of my college professors never knew this. But for me to pick up the principle I started doing the rounds in different driving simulators (GT, Open Wheelers, After Market cars). And basically you have to do something slightly different in all of them to get up to speed.

It's a good exercise if you're into racing games. And after a while you become familiar with the "little fear" at the start and the feeling of "knowing nothing" for a time at the start.

I actually kind of like that feeling nowadays. :P

Old 10 October 2012   #43
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread