100,000 seats as null data - Question

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2012   #1
100,000 seats as null data - Question

Client wants to send over a stadium with 100,000 seats, which he says is an 4gb scene that took over an hour to write.

If I can receive this information as nulls (which I believe will work with RhinoIO), is there a simple way to assign a proxy to every null and zero out the coordinates? Without obviously doing it manually, which would take until next Christmas.

Old 09 September 2012   #2
i don't know if it works for 100000 object, but try: character menu>commands> replace with

you have many options there

Ali

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Perfect solution, except that it's an R13 only feature and this project they insist has to be R12.
Seems to load ok though back in R12, but only with a small test.

Thanks for the tip though. One more reason to convince these clients to upgrade.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
If you could get the data as points you could use a cloner set to object mode, although 100,000 of anything is going to be interesting.

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Couldn't you just write a script that creates a null object for every seat?

-N

Old 09 September 2012   #6
just a hunch,

create Thinking Particles at the axis point and the replace them with mograph cloner?

I think this should be doable on board ...

kind regards mogh

Old 09 September 2012   #7
Create 100.000 instance objects (with the duplicate command) and use a hierarchy iterator in xpresso to transfer the matrix of the corresponding Null.

Like this.

Last edited by mazab : 09 September 2012 at 11:42 AM.

Old 09 September 2012   #8
Thanks for the help, haven't had a chance to check out the file (on kid watch), but I will do asap.

Old 10 October 2012   #9
if you have a null for every seat, you could use my little scipt FS_multible_instances.
just select you nulls use the script, select all the instances and assign your chair as renderinstances. i do not know if it can handle 100k and how long it may take, but you can give it a try. (i didnt make it for so many objects but theoretically it should work)

you can find it in the download area (englsh swich is on the upper right)

www.floriansepp.com

best regards
Jops

Old 10 October 2012   #10
Originally Posted by ThePriest: (on kid watch)

Been there! be careful, the little ones can be formidable.

Is there something unique about each seat? If the stadium is symetrical, obviously one Symmetry Object covers half your seat count. Maybe they are made in identical sections, or a set of configurations that repeat, say a typical row of 15 seats along a straight section of flat flooring? Yes, it's partly manual, but offers a way to use nested Instances to multiply it all out efficiently. And best if there is one master seat, of course, that you can edit and the rest update, as in an Instance or Xref.

And for people in the seats...don't forget paint-dipped Q-Tips.

v13 files should open in v12, and also there is a setting in Preferences for the max number of objects you can select (defaults to 1000 I think) that you might need to raise.

Last edited by Ernest Burden : 10 October 2012 at 08:42 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #11
Hi,

its absolutely necessary to have every single seat as a separate object ? Couldn't the client connect them in one single polygon (which you can possibly separate later if you want) ? Just asking..

Old 10 October 2012   #12
Originally Posted by Visualtricks: Hi,

its absolutely necessary to have every single seat as a separate object ? Couldn't the client connect them in one single polygon (which you can possibly separate later if you want) ? Just asking..

Problem is, they didn't have a low poly version of the geometry, it was about 150,000 polys x 100,000 copies (or there abouts) = 15,000,000,000. Not even 96gb of ram covers me for that.

The low poly version is thankfully only 5000 polys, but I've been so focused on the interior, I haven't a chance to try out one of the solutions in this thread.

Old 10 October 2012   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread