Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Professional Matte painter & concept Artist
Freelance DMP / 3d Generalist
Vancouver, Canada

Send a message via Yahoo to everlite

Mari 2.0 - keyframing textures? why?!

I encountered a strange issue today by where I imported a shot camera into a Mari scene (simple building/environment asset), went to a specific frame (1502), created a projector, exported/unprojected the frame to Photoshop, did a little paint over and then took the PSD back to mari through the projector and baked to a layer. Now when I scrubbed the timeline backwards; ie before frame 1502 the texture I applied disappears, and when I scrubbed past frame 1502 it appears again. I later noticed that Mari had somehow automatically added a keyframe to the texture when bringing it back into Mari. Right clicking the layer and viewing the properties showed there were two Keyframes. Going back to the first frame and hitting delete keyframe seemed to resolve the issue.

So my question is; does anyone have any experience/understanding of the keyframes? Does Mari assume that when you have an animated camera in the scene that any projections will need to be animated? and as such; automatically adds a keyframe?

Thanks in advance.

David.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

I was always under the impression that it didn't automatically add keyframes - perhaps the Mari<>Nuke bridge makes that assumption for doing paint fixes or you mistakenly hit the 'add keyframe' hotkey?

Old 06-27-2013, 10:06 PM   #3
everlite
Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Vancouver, Canada

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not using the Mari/Nuke bridge at this time.

To my understanding i'm not adding any keyframes. I did a test where i scrubbed the timeline to frame 300, i then added a new layer, and this also automatically added a keyframe. I also noticed a number of other layers i have are keyframed at 0 and 100. While another layer, which i unprojected to photoshop and back also added a keyframe at 1502.

Adding to this, it seems some keyframes i can delete, while others i cant.

The whole keyframing system seems very confusing and extremely unmanageable. Aside from the - and + to add and delete keyframes, i can't see any other way to manage them.

In the work flow we're using, it's essential to be able to import a shot camera, go to a specific frame, and paint over, in somecases unproject to photoshop and back. So far this seems a mess with the way the keyframes are adding themselves in the background.

At the moment, i'm stuck with an asset in Mari that displays the layers from frame 1-100, then disappears from 101 - 1600 (the end of the shot cam) Sadly i need to be able to paint in the back end of the shot :/

Old 06-27-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
everlite
Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Vancouver, Canada

Right click layer properties - number of keyframes on single layer currently 5! (no idea why)

Views timeline, and sees two keyframes, neither of which can be deleted

Foundry! .. your keyframe editor really sucks :/

Old 06-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #5
forelle
Know-it-All
portfolio
Jack Greasley
London , United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlite
Right click layer properties - number of keyframes on single layer currently 5! (no idea why)

Views timeline, and sees two keyframes, neither of which can be deleted

Foundry! .. your keyframe editor really sucks :/

Hi,

Could you drop an email to support@thefoundry.co.uk and we can help you out?

Thanks

Jack

Old 06-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
everlite
Expert

portfolio
David Edwards
Vancouver, Canada

Email sent.

Thank you.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #7
earlyworm
car unenthusiast

Will Earl
craftsperson
Grizzly Country, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by everlite
In the work flow we're using, it's essential to be able to import a shot camera, go to a specific frame, and paint over, in somecases unproject to photoshop and back. So far this seems a mess with the way the keyframes are adding themselves in the background

The last time I specifically tried to do this was circa Mari 1.4 and the main two problems that I had was that I had to manually update the frame number that I wanted to project and I couldn't adjust the pan and scan of the buffer to correct misalignments in the projection.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:06 AM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread