Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Sierra - Turret

CURRENT STATE

First Post

(If I set this up right you should be able to click the image for a bigger image)
Any who, The legs on this baby are bothering me like no other. I've been playing with them for awhile but nothing seems to look right. Any ideas? C&C welcome!

Last edited by rZukoff : 03-27-2013 at 08:34 PM.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Its been awhile since I uploaded anything for this baby, I've been working on her, on and off for some time now due to other projects that have arisen.

I'd highly suggest watching in 720p, although even that is a little fuzzy. I'm still iffy on the legs, so they are still in blocking stages as I complete the upper half of the model. You may notice things are a little bit "Scattered" in the model as I've been moving stuff around working on the silhouette and overall shape, so smaller items like bolts and what not may not be in the right place.

Full Screen and 720p Advised!

All c&c is welcome.

Cheers,
Ryan

Last edited by rZukoff : 03-18-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #3
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Cool man, the detail looks really nice.

I'm getting some different senses of scale though from the different parts. All of those flat, long details on your cannon look sort of like decks and rails at first glance, and thus the cannons look several stories high. But on the other hand, your base looks like its only 5 or 6 stories high due to the hand rail. Yet then you have that ladder, which makes the whole thing look only 2 stories high.

The ammo belt doesn't look large enough as well. I would imagine that the shells should be the same width as the barrel. I think the avenger cannon on the A10 is the baddest thing out there, and you'll notice that the ammo drum takes up a majority of the space.

http://www.mindfully.org/Nucs/2003/GAU-8-Avenger1.jpg

-AJ

Old 03-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Thanks for the critique man!

Hehe, I will try to communicate scale better, its actually only supposed to be two stories high. There's going to be stairs heading up the back which should help a lot. I'll try to find other things to add that were more familiar with.

Regarding the ammo belt, its actually not in this turntable I'm guessing you're looking at the cables/wires hanging around. But in the first picture there is an ammo belt. As I was modeling I thought the bullets looked unusually small next to the barrel so I took a look and they were like firing toothpicks out of a cannon.... After I enlarged them I tried to figure out how to equip the ammo as I tried to pack them in the back of the right gun, I came to a halt when I realized it could only hold 16 ammo! That would be the shortest fight ever. So right now I'm trying to figure out how to equip the ammo. At the moment I've been thinking of just having a feeder on the ground feeding to it directly.

Hmmm that ammo drum looks promising. I might try something like that. I'll have to gather more reference on the feeder so the gun wont jam. If any one has any ideas for the ammo or legs, I'm open ears

Thanks again AJ!
Cheers,
-Ryan

Old 03-27-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
rZukoff
Veteran

portfolio
Ryan Zukoff
Pipeline TD
Los Angeles, USA

Heres the latest update, you can double click to view the image in HD. I've just been hammerin away details and cleaning up all the stuff I had scattered around before. Next step is working on the legs and the ammo drum.

Cheers,
-Ryan

Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Hey man,

The details look sharp, but maybe too sharp. They're really throwing off the sense of scale. They also seem a little small and arbitrary. They make the cannons look huge. It might help to add a few larger pieces to help give a better sense of form and function. Maybe a few large hydraulic cylinders could do the trick. I think your ammo drum could be a lot larger. Perhaps you could integrate it more with the stand, and use it as a structural element.

-AJ

Old 03-28-2013, 04:44 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread