Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 02-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
abbeytermeer
Frequenter

portfolio
Abbey TerMeer
Galena, US

WIP Call Leviathan

I am working on a few trading cards and am looking for a little insight/critique into one I am currently working on called "Call Leviathan". The company is a online RPG based on the pirate world and this is one of the trading cards.

My approach is instead of illustrating from above the water, i wanted to capture the pursuit of the ship as he is called. The current stage is mostly lighting ideas and a faint look of the main color source of the painting. I want the water to be murky. In addition, one of my ideas was to add underwater growth to the monster as to imply it has been a while since he has been awakened (barnacles, etc.)

I am looking for insight on perspective, possible ideas for the monster design (my forte is, like so many others, women) because I am so unfamiliar with creature design, and colors.

Here is my current WIP:

Old 02-15-2013, 08:44 PM   #2
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

Fancy seeing you here, Abbey dear. How come I haven't seen you around the alumni students lounge much? (And did you know that your testimonial for the workshop is currently the headlining one on the course description page? Such a lovely compliment you gave--my heart melted.)

From what I can see of the creature, it looks pretty good. I don't know the description your client gave you, but based on what I see, it has fairly interesting shapes used at the head to make it more than just a giant bald serpent. As for the body, without knowing what your client wants, it's hard to comment.

The composition could be more effective IMO. The boat is lined up with the head diagonally, and it'll work better if you rotate/move the boat, or extend the canvas and move the creature away from the boat. Also, the creature's overall silhouette could have better readability. Unfurl it a bit so the body isn't bent so much--that will give a better curvature to the silhouette that still conveys its elongated body clearly. If you extend the canvas at the bottom and make this a vertical composition, you'd have more room for the creature, as well as emphasize the sense of scale (deep sea of unknown and large creature vs. a tiny boat on the surface).

Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
abbeytermeer
Frequenter

portfolio
Abbey TerMeer
Galena, US

ROB! *dance*
Honestly, my day job has been so demanding and recently was bought by another company. It has caused so much stress that I haven't been able to concentrate on painting at all. However, I am in the process of switching to a part time job to simply pay the bills. Starving artist, but I am prepared for it. The rest of my time will be working my butt off to become a professional artist! It is what I must do, I have to. I know it is what I need to do. As soon as things start to settle down I am definitely going to participate. I would love it!

AH! I can't believe you are using my testimonial! I stand by every letter! I am constantly thinking about what I have learned from your course, and slowly learning to apply it to my own work more effectively

As for this piece, thank you for your feedback! I am restricted on canvas shape as it is a trading card, however, I am going to sketch out a few more creature concepts to make the silhouette more interesting (and move the boat too). I have artistic freedom in this venture so creature design is all of my doing. It is simply an attack on a boat by the ancient creature Leviathan.

I will try to post an update tonight. Thank you for your feedback, Rob! I promise you'll see me more often as I hope to see you. !

Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 AM   #4
abbeytermeer
Frequenter

portfolio
Abbey TerMeer
Galena, US

Okay, silhouette only this time. No lighting effects or shading of any sort. Merely to identify the silhouette. Rotated the ship and un-bent the leviathan... and some redesign in there as well.

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #5
Lunatique
Pragmatic Dreamer

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Robert Chang
Artist|Writer|Composer
Photographer|Director
Lincoln, USA

I think the composition flows better now. Depending on how you deal with the lighting/values (illusion of atmospheric perspective of some kind), you may need to accentuate the sense of scale so that the creature has more foreshortening (head get smaller further away, body is bigger when closer).

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread