Psygnosis, aka Studio Liverpool shut down

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #31
Quote: Brataccas !!

Impressive... I didn't think anyone else would remember it

Old 08 August 2012   #32
Quote: Impressive... I didn't think anyone else would remember it

first game on my Atari ST

Old 08 August 2012   #33
Originally Posted by visionmaster2: first game on my Atari ST

Ah, Brataccas! The bastard child of Bandersnatch and Psyclapse
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Old 08 August 2012   #34
Maybe some of the people laid off can come together and reform Psygnosis?

Who owns the name to "Psygnosis"?

Old 08 August 2012   #35
Originally Posted by DePaint: Maybe some of the people laid off can come together and reform Psygnosis?

Who owns the name to "Psygnosis"?

It wouldn't mean anything more than Atari does now - let it rest in peace

Besides, whilst Psygnosis' artists produced some astonishing artwork at the time, the in-house developed games were never really that good (Wipeout notwithstanding) - the best stuff they published was generally from other devs (Reflections/DMA Design etc.) and those guys are still around under different names (Rockstar for example).
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Old 08 August 2012   #36
Originally Posted by AegisPrime: It wouldn't mean anything more than Atari does now - let it rest in peace

Besides, whilst Psygnosis' artists produced some astonishing artwork at the time, the in-house developed games were never really that good (Wipeout notwithstanding) - the best stuff they published was generally from other devs (Reflections/DMA Design etc.) and those guys are still around under different names (Rockstar for example).

Shadow of the Beast and Killing Game Show could have been the basis for great modern games. If made today I'd guess SotB would be some kind of God of War clone. KGS would possibly have worked as a 3D platformer...

Old 08 August 2012   #37
Originally Posted by AegisPrime: Besides, whilst Psygnosis' artists produced some astonishing artwork at the time, the in-house developed games were never really that good (Wipeout notwithstanding) - the best stuff they published was generally from other devs (Reflections/DMA Design etc.) and those guys are still around under different names (Rockstar for example).

Oh I don't know, games like Wipeout, F1 and Destruction Derby may have grabbed the headlines but there were many other internal titles that were equally good. Not every game is going to be hit, despite being well made and designed.
GPolice, Tenka, Colony Wars, Overboard, ODT, Adidas Power Soccer, Blast Radius, Kingsleys Adventure, Global Domination, Lander, City of Lost Children, were all very credible titles.
But the market was very different back then, but by the late 90's Psygnosis had kinda started to unravel itself just when alot of internal titles (PS1 & PC) were nearing completion. Many games never even made it to market, or they were simply cancelled.

Old 09 September 2012   #38
A sad day... Lemmings and Agony (I don't think anyone else ever played this game) were two of the best games ever made...

My online portfolio

Old 09 September 2012   #39
Personally I found the old Wipeout titles a lot more aesthetically interesting with designs that were very forward looking, the later releases had generic sci-fi as the art direction, it just wasn't on the same level quite frankly no matter how much glow they overlaid. I find it hard to believe the same minds were behind the newer games.

Old 09 September 2012   #40
Wipeout XL is a masterpiece.

Old 09 September 2012   #41
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread