Meet the Artist: Doug Ikeler, Sony Pictures Imageworks

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2006   #46
Hi, nice of you taking the time to answer all these questions. Really enjoyed the movie

I'm qurious about how you manage the hours at work versus hours away from work. When working on a project for example. Say you have four weeks to go from start to finish with a group of people. Do you manage to stay within the 8-9 hours a day barrier and having the weekends off, or do you, as i do, tend to work waaay beyond those limits, like 15-18 hours a day + some eventual sleep-overs at your desk, taking you job home with you etc., just to get the job done faster and/or better?

I find that most people do this, sacrificing any life they might have outside the current project.

Thanks again!

- Marcus

Old 10 October 2006   #47
Thumbs up

Hi, Doug.

I'm very curious about the techniques you used to achieve the awsome 2D/Graphic style of the BGs and all enviroments. How did you get pretty organic things to look this designy and stylized? I mean rocks, the trees, close to camera mountains; the enviroments in general.

Thanks for sharing the wisdom!

PS:OK, I've read the AWN piece, that was very informative. It covers pretty well what I asked, so let me be more specific then:

What modelling and texturing considerations were taken to achieve the style when you created the library of the most detailed (Close up) enviromental elements?

Last edited by ma11JoseG : 10 October 2006 at 08:03 AM.

Old 10 October 2006   #48
Life away from the studio?

Hi Doug,

I really appreciate the time that you have spent answering all of our questions, (have you developed RSI yet??)

How do you juggle your commitments to 3D with life outside the studio? I'm dedicated to learning Character Animation but also feel you need to have an active social life to appreciate the world around you in order to convey life through a flexible sculpture to good effect.

What I'm saying is basically, I feel sorry for my girlfriend staring at the back of my head whilst I follow my dream. Do you have the same problems and how do you deal with them?

Cheers,
Lewis Cooper

Old 10 October 2006   #49
Invitation to South Florida

Hi Doug and thank you for sharing this info with all of us.

I really admire your work and love the work you did for the Road to el Dorado.

I will extend an open invitation to visit the South Florida Siggraph Chapter based on your availability.

Our chapter has being blessed with guest speakers from all the major studios, such as Tippet, ILM, Rhythm and Hues, etc.

Please let me know if you would be interested and I could arrange for your visit.

Many thanks,

Jorge Castillo
fll.siggraph@yahoo.com

Old 10 October 2006   #50
Hi,Doug

I just have to say thank you for posting in big bright yellow. It really helps when your scanning for the featured artists responses. A little off topic but just had to bring it up.

P.S. Now back to the regularly scheduled questions.

I have the power of Grey Skull

Old 10 October 2006   #51
Sharing thoughts and ideas

Hi Doug,

This question isn't real personal, and isn't intended to belittle anyone or make anyone look bad. So here it goes. Before I ask the question, I just wanted to say that I loved the film and it was pretty funny. The concepts were great and I loved the fur and water effects.

So here it goes. A few years ago for a college AE assignment, I was supposed to create an animation doing mostly superimposing. The teacher said we could use animated videos or still shots in AE to make our animation. I was inspired at the time to make this short animation. Keep in mind, I was still very much a novice at animating and knowing nothing about riggin or textureing and most the characters were bought online. I just knew that I loved bringing art to life.

The animation I did involved a bear, a rabbit, skunk and a gopher out in the woods, along with all the other woodsy creatures. I always loved the Joke about the bear and the rabbit in the woods doing their "when nature calls" thing. So I decided to make this Joke come to life in an animation. To say the least I feel that the ideas and concept came out pretty well, but the animation turned out a bit choppy. I was proud of it at the time, but have since gotten a lot better at animating and have experience with rigging, texturing and modeling now.

Anyhow, when I saw Open season, I couldn't help noticing a few similarities in that movie to my short animation in certain parts of the film. Now don't take offense to this, and I won't be angry but I would be honored if some of the ideas of Open Season did actually come from other sources and ideas on the web just to elaborate on more in the film such as my short animation. I was wondering if someone from the studio did some web surfing one day and saw my animation on youtube or my personal website, and was inspired from it and decided it would be funny to add some of these ideas in the film for humors sake?

Disclaimer: This question was not intended for a publicity stunt nor to acheive any kind of ownership/recognition. I just couldn't help noticing similar ideas in the film as my animation. It was done for a school project back in 2003. Thankyou.

Sincerely, John Trimble

to see this animated short, you can go to http://www.artistitouch.biz/Videos/...Trained_HD.html it is about 26.mb so perfect for broadband users.

Heres the link for Dial up users at 4.mb in size http://www.artistitouch.biz/Videos/...ttyTrained.html Just keep in mind the picture quality isn't as great in the lowbandwidth version.

Old 10 October 2006   #52
Hi Doug,

Im a student and currently starting to work on the pre-production of my short film which also feature animals.
I wanted to ask about the design of the animal characters in Open Season.
How did the character some to this design and how do you start thinking of the style of your characters and film?

Im having hard time with this field, hoping you'll be able to help me with some guiding.

Thanks in advance,
Tomer.

P.s.
Looking forward to see the film,
I know I'll enjoy it.

Old 10 October 2006   #53
Closing time - thanks to all

Sorry guys, this Q&A has now closed.

Thank you to everyone who came in to ask questions, and a big thank you to Doug Ikeler for your time and effort in answering our questions.

Paul

Thread Closed share thread