Bug in 2011 or me? Problem with rendering strands with Color_attribute node.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2010
Bug in 2011 or me? Problem with rendering strands with Color_attribute node.

Hi,

When applying shaders in the Render Tree to ICE strands I've come across something "weird" that I can't explain.
When adding a Color_Attribute node (XSI 2011) to e.g. a Constant node and set the 'Attribute' parameter to 'Color', and then rerender, the render region does not render the ICE color, even not when I rerun the simulation.

I've experienced that only when I first set the 'Attribute' parameter to 'StrandColor' and THEN to 'Color', that only then does it render the ICE color.

Steps taken :
- create grid
- emit particles
- create_strands : execute on emit
- in Emit from Surface node : set color to e.g. green and size to e.g. 2 and shape to segment
- assign a Constant material to particles
- go to render tree
- get a Color_Attribute node and plug its Out port into the Constant node's Color port
- set the 'Attribute' parameter of the Color_Attribute node to 'Color'
- take a render region : the strands should be green if you have set the color to green in the Emit from Surface node, but the color of the strands is white.
- then set the 'Attribute' parameter of the Color_Attribute node to 'StrandColor', and then back to 'Color' : now the strands render green.

Can anyone confirm and/or explain this behavior ?

EDIT : maybe I've found the answer myself?
When I FIRST plug in the Color_Attribute node into the Constant node, and ONLY then set the 'Attribute' param to 'Color', then it renders green.
If I first set the param to 'Color' and then plug in the node, then it doesn't render the ICE color but I have to set it to something else than 'Color' and then back to 'Color'.

Am I missing something fundamental to working with shaders here ?

Thanks, Dominiek.

05 May 2010
Yes there is some funky stuff happening with color attributes. One workaround I found is to store your color to custom variable in icetree, and use this var in rendertree

05 May 2010
Thank you Piotrek : good idea.

05 May 2010
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread