Brazil and 3ds Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2005
Brazil and 3ds Max

I've noticed that a lot of the artists on this site use Brazil for their renderings. I've used it since the early test releases, but I don't have the funds to purchase the retail version (starving college student and all ). Anyways, I wanted to see what the rest of you use...do many of you use the free Rio version? An old version that didn't have the size limitations? Or did you shell out for the unrestricted version? If you did pay for it, was it worth the purchase (especially now that MentalRay ships with max standard)?

~Flux

03 March 2005
I've tinckered with Brazil Rio, I'm not shelling out the 1.5k until Brazil 2.0 ships .

And I must say that I find it head and shoulders above mental ray in terms of ease of use. And the fact that Brazil was used for the 2.5D backdrops in The Incredibles says something.

Learning to use Blender3d

03 March 2005
I can totally see this thread becoming a this renderer is better than that renderer thead. I agree with Wahooney... probably not worth it as of right now until 2.0 is shipped. (for full price) Otherwise I know that a lot of people are using mental ray because it ships with max, offers a lot of control, and again... ships with max. Vray is also another good alternative especially because of the price difference.(799 for full version) It also has a pretty big community online as well for help (evermotion.org and vray.info) It offers a an easier to use interface (like brazil... it's generally easier than mental ray at first for most people), with a whole lot of extra things as well (light mapping). I know brazil student license is only $250 so you might wanna give that shot... for a 1 year license. I don't know if chaos does a student license for vray, but you could always ask and see what price that is. Final render is kinda off in its own little world it seems... dunno what happened to it. It's still around, but it doesn't seem nearly as popular as mr, brazil, or vray. I know when i first tried final render it was massively confusing for me, but after going through the tutorials, and using the other renderers i figured it out over time. It also offers some really good stuff as well! Mental ray has a huge community within cgtalk alone, and you can likely get a lot of help learning it from here. MR also has a lot of deep-in-there technical things you can learn further down the road. As a start, i'd say just stick with mr for a while, until you can save up for vray or brazil, because you will learn basically the same thing at least in terms of concept. Anyway... give the demo versions a shot also, and really try for yourself what you like best, and keep in mind they have student licenses for brazil, and possibly vray, and even possibly finalrender, but MR comes with max! and it produces just as good-a-imagery, it's just a dif. tool... so it's up to you to figure out which tool you want to use.

Last edited by SoLiTuDe : 03 March 2005 at 06:29 AM.

03 March 2005
Yeah, it's funny how these threads always become a battle for "who has the best renderer". But I'm mostly interested in seeing if a lot of the artists that frequent these boards have purchased the commercial version of Brazil or are using the test version, as they're posting images much larger than 512x386 pixels. The student version is very tempting, but I really loathe throwing down a large chunk of change for "temporary" software. If I purchase something, I want to be able to use it whenever I need it, not have to repurchase a year later. They do have an upgrade option, but again it's more money.

I'm definately interested in learning more about Mental Ray. Hopefully I'll get some help later on in these boards, because my tests have made miserable renders (non-filtered maps, horrible GI solutions, long render times, etc). Tutorials are hard to find on the web as well...most everything that comes up is for paid online classes. Thank goodness for good resources like this board!

~Flux

03 March 2005
Being with a discreet and splutterfish reseller I can tell you that a lot of people do buy these renderers. I have sold quite a lot myself. If you are into commercial 3D business then you can afford it easily, a 2-3 week project will pay off the cost of the software. If nobody was to buy the commercial and just use the free versions then these manufactuerers will go out of business pretty soon and there wont be a free version either.

As per your student status, you can get educational version of the renderers. If you just want to know the software and learn it then you can stick with the Rio or Free VRay or the Mental Ray that ships with max.

03 March 2005
While on the subject of render engines, I saw that finalRender Stage 0 is $95. Does anyone have this, and would it be a good investment, just to try something different for rendering? I've got Mentalray with Max 6, and am happy with it, but was just curious since Stage 0 is relatively inexpensive and looks powerful (not as much as Stage 1, though).

03 March 2005
Here is the student pricing information for Brazil.
Originally Posted by Splutterfish: Student/Faculty Pricing -- 1 Year Licenses
Contact one of our resellers or the SplutterFish sales team for inquiries or ordering info.

Student/Faculty Artist Bundle $250 (USD) - 1 Workstation & 1 Render Node License

Licenses are valid for 1 year only, available to verified students and faculty members through educational resellers. Forum support only. Limit one bundle per customer.

Student/Faculty To Commercial Upgrade $950 (USD)

Upgrade pricing is only valid for 1 Artist Bundle.

Personally I would go with what you can afford. Yes Brazil is a great tool that I love to use, but its the artist that makes the images not tools. The tools help to speed up and fine tune the process.

-Eric

03 March 2005
Originally Posted by herbert west: While on the subject of render engines, I saw that finalRender Stage 0 is $95. Does anyone have this, and would it be a good investment, just to try something different for rendering? I've got Mentalray with Max 6, and am happy with it, but was just curious since Stage 0 is relatively inexpensive and looks powerful (not as much as Stage 1, though).

I would honestly say no its not. It was not a true plugin renderer, if I remember correctly it was a render effect or environment and acted very strangely. It would insert itself into every file opened with the copy of max it was installed in whether the user touched anything related to fr, causing major file sharing and missing plugin nightmares.

-Eric

03 March 2005
as far as fR stage-0 goes, I highly recommend against it. I used it soon after it originally was released and it was a nitemare, and eventually resulted in me switching to Brazil for good. I understand that the more recent versions (of fR) are far more reliable then the early ones, so that $95 would be better spent towards something more recent and more usable.

03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread