Threadripper workstation

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

02 February 2018
Threadripper workstation

Hello, I've just purchased a PC for modeling and rendering purposes in SketchUp+V-Ray, as well as AutoCAD and Revit. No gaming. 
My main goal is to move to 3DSMax and Corona with new rig.
My old PC is Intel 2500k with 24gb RAM and GTX 960, quite old.  
I still have time to change some components, so any advice is welcome. 
I think I should have probably gotten some more case ventilators, since this case comes with only 2 120mm preinstalled.
And also, my budget is pretty much fixed around 3000€, it would be nice to have maybe a better case or 512 m.2 but couldn't fit it.
Also, would this PSU be enough for another card in the future?

case
COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX 5t GAMING HOUSING
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16 Core-CPU (3.4GHz, 40 MB CACHE, sTR4)
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X399-A (DDR4, 6 Gb/s, CrossFireX/SLI) 
Memory (RAM)
32 GB-Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200 MHz (4 x 8 GB)
graphic card
11GB ASUS ROG STRIX GEFORCE GTX 1080 Ti – DVI, HDMI, DP
M.2 SSD drive 
256 GB SAMSUNG PM961 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2800 MB / R, 1100 MB / W)
power supply 
CORSAIR 850 W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD
processor cooling 
Ultra-quiet, powerful CPU cooler Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3

02 February 2018
Since you'll be working with Corona, you won't need a 2nd gpu in the future. And the 1080Ti is an overkill, if you don't plan to use gpu rendering in your workflow. A 1060 6gb should be perfectly fine for your needs. 
Also, imo, it's better to get a larger sata ssd instead of a 250gb nvme that won't make any difference in your everyday use. 

In total, I would spend the 3000€ in a completely different way in your case. You're throwing money on things that won't be useful for what you're planning to do with your new rig. 

02 February 2018
Hello FatherN and thanks for the reply.
My current workflow is modeling in SketchUp and rendering in v-ray or Lumion, hence the need for a big gpu. You're probably right about bigger ssd, until now I had one 128 GB and found it too small. 
Corona is something I'm seriously thinking about, but I'm not proficient enough now in 3DSmax to make the switch now. 
Thanks for the advice, I'll seriously think about. Just found myself panicking about prices of gpus going up and up and went all in.

I'm curious on what direction would you go with this budget? 

02 February 2018
I'll explain myself. 
1. Corona and Vray use the cpu for rendering. So, you must aim for the best multi-threaded performance your money can buy. There are 2 cpu within your range, the AMD's 1950X and Intel's 7940X, which is more expensive but has a much higher turbo clock.
2. Between these two cpus, the best for modeling, editing etc. is the one with the higher turbo clocks, i.e. the 7940X. In rendering they perform the same, but the 7940X has a better oc potential, if you want to push your clocks a bit higher.
3. Lumion needs a high-end gpu for ultra complex scenes https://forum.lumion.com/index.php?...rticle;cont=471
I might be wrong here, but from what I've read in the link above, a 1070Ti 8gb is perfect for even ultra detailed scenes. Besides, I think that the 1080Ti's price (almost 1K$) is ridiculously high at the moment and I'd prefer to spend money on things that are more important (larger ssd, high frequency RAM etc.).   
4. Lumion also favors higher cpu clocks.
5. With your workflow a 2nd gpu wouldn't be useful. It would be if you were planning to use gpu rendering at some point. 

I've made you a list with the parts I would pick in your place:
1 Samsung SSD 850 PRO 512GB, SATA (MZ-7KE512BW)
1 Intel Core i9-7940X, 14x 3.10GHz, boxed ohne Kühler (BX80673I97940X)
1 G.Skill Trident Z silber/rot DIMM Kit 32GB, DDR4-3200, CL14-14-14-34 (F4-3200C14D-32GTZ)
1 MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti Armor 8G, 8GB GDDR5, DVI, HDMI, 3x DisplayPort (V330-223R)
1 Gigabyte X299 UD4 Pro
1 Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass schwarz, Glasfenster (PH-ES515PTG_BK)
1 Cryorig A40 Ultimate (CR-A4B)
1 Corsair TX-M Series Modular TX750M 80PLUS Gold 750W ATX 2.4 (CP-9020131)

TOTAL: 2923€ without shipping.

02 February 2018
V-Ray can use both CPU and GPU, as well as Hybrid rendering. 
Thank you for your advice, though. 

02 February 2018
Hybrid rendering with Vray is mostly gpu dependent (and it's not the same with Vray Production Renderer, but a subset of Vray RT) . The cpu contributes with a ~15-25% increase in rendering performance, so if you're planning to build a system for hybrid rendering you should change your priorities imo. Just pick a cpu with high turbo clocks and enough pcie lanes for a multi-gpu setup, get the best gpu your money can buy (with the potential to add more gpus in the future) and buy a high-wattage psu from day 1, in order to have a headroom for more gpus.   

Last edited by FatherN : 02 February 2018 at 08:14 AM.

03 March 2018
I using a Threadripper build for 4 months now, doing lookdev and render works, I use arnold and redshift so I render on both cpu and gpu,
here is my build maybe similar to yours but Im using different ram, harddrives and gpu
http://www.knevv.com/collections/a6...3c-4fccdc634976

I'm going to update as soon as new hardware is released,
A side note, I like to frequently update my build before it gets too old and sold for a fraction of the original price, quickly updating allows you to sell your hardware for a price close to the original and sometimes same price.

Last edited by upqo : 03 March 2018 at 09:13 PM.

03 March 2018
About Corona + CPU, check this:

https://corona-renderer.com/forum/i...p?topic=19378.0

reply share thread