Maya 8 Release!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2006
Here in the Area are the Bonus tools for Maya 8

Last edited by Masnado : 08 August 2006 at 10:21 PM.

08 August 2006
Thanks for the link.

Just installed Bonus Tools and loaded some tools........where the hell Bonus Tools menu dialog has gone?

I only have access to various tools via comand line, I hope it isn't yet another bug.

Btw, drawSplitTool is nice, very useful for organic stuff.

08 August 2006
What's New in Maya 8 Bonus Tools:

What's New

Assign Checker Shader

Auto Map Multiple Meshes

Bridge Faces

Create Menu from Shelf

Cut Tiles For Image

Delete Upstream History

Extrude Face and Scale UVs

Fur Blender

Insert Intermediate Poly Shape

Nudge Vert Weights

Orient To Vert/Edge Tool

Pose Blend Shape Editor

Separate Selected Edges

Select Every N Edges

Removed Tools

<!--[endif]-->

Assign Checker Shader

This command assigns a new checker shader to selected meshes.

To use, select a mesh and Bonus Tools->Assign Checker Shader.

Auto Map Multiple Meshes

This command creates an Automatic Mapping node to control the mapping on multiple objects.

To use, select meshes and Bonus Tools->Auto Map Multiple Meshes.

Bridge Faces

This tools deletes the two selected faces and creates a bridge between their border edges.

To use, select two faces on the same mesh and Bonus Tools->Bridge Faces.

Create Menu from Shelf

This command will convert a user specified shelf into a pull-down menu. Optionally, the menu can be written to disk.

To use, Bonus Tools->Create Menu from Shelf.

To delete a menu you will need to use the deleteUI command. If you created a menu called MyTestShelf, you would execute this MEL command:

deleteUI mainMyTestShelfMenu;

The menu name will always be of the form mainShelfNameMenu.

When writing the file to disk, the menu can be added to the userSetup.mel file to always be available at start-up.

Cut Tiles For Image

This is a MEL script that will cut a specified image into smaller pieces.

Here's a sample for using the command:

cutTilesForImage 3 3 64 64 file1 test1 jpg ruby;

The arguments are:

int $numX
int $numY
int $resX
int $resY
string $inFile
string $outFile
string $fileFormat
string $name

Delete Upstream History

This command deletes upstream history of the selected node in the channel box. This allows for more control of deleting history.

To use, select a mesh and an input node in the Channel Box and Bonus Tools->Delete Upstream History. Extrude Face and Scale UVs

This command extrudes faces and scales the resultant UVs so that the new UVs are not overlapping.

To use, select face(s) to extrude and Bonus Tools->Extrude Face and Scale UVs.

Fur Blender

This command blends between two fur descriptions onto a third fur description.

To use, select three fur descriptions or meshes (the target mesh last) and Bonus Tools->Fur Blender.

Insert Intermediate Poly Shape

This command inserts a poly shape node upstream of the selected node in the channel box. This allows for modifications to the middle of history chains.

To use, select a mesh and an input node in the Channel Box and Bonus Tools->Insert Intermediate Poly Shape.

Nudge Vert Weights

This command opens a window to adjust vertex weights for a selected influence object by a user defined amount.

To use, select a vert and an influence object and Bonus Tools->Nudge Vert Weights Window. Enter a nudge value and press the button to move the weight up or down.

Orient To Vert/EdgeTool

The Orient to Edge and Orient to Verts tools were combined and now have control over object and world space.

To use, Bonus Tools->Orient to Vert/Edge Tool.

Pose Blend Shape Editor

This editor creates and manages corrective blend shapes for skinned meshes.

To use, Bonus Tools->Pose Blend Shape Editor...

When adding a new shape, pose the joint that will act as the driver and select the mesh.
Select Every N Edges

This command propagates the current edge ring/loop selection. For example, select an edge, skip the next parallel edge and then shift select the next parallel edge. The result of the command will be every other edge in the ring is selected.

To use, select edges and Bonus Tools->Select Every N Edges. The option box will let this work as a command or a tool.
Separate Selected Edges

This command separates, or splits, selected edges so that they are no longer attached.

To use, select edges and Bonus Tools->Separate Selected Edges.

Removed Tools

The following tools were added to Maya 8.0 in one form or another and removed from the Bonus Tools :
  • Animation Turntable
  • Bridge
  • Orient to Edge
  • Orient to Vert

<!--[endif]-->

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Dias: Thanks for the link.

Just installed Bonus Tools and loaded some tools........where the hell Bonus Tools menu dialog has gone?

Dias, I think you have to edit your userSetup.mel file which is in your Maya 8.0 script folder.

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Masnado: Dias, I think you have to edit your userSetup.mel file which is in your Maya 8.0 script folder.

Well, Bonus Tools loads correctly, I can load and use every tools I want, but the only way to access them is by command line (since I can't find Bonus Tools dialog).

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by Dias: Well, Bonus Tools loads correctly, I can load and use every tools I want, but the only way to access them is by command line (since I can't find Bonus Tools dialog).

As with previous versions, you should have a menu item called Bonus Tools with the full list of tools - it did that for me.

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by benwatt: As with previous versions, you should have a menu item called Bonus Tools with the full list of tools - it did that for me.

I don't have the menu item either :(

08 August 2006
if you allready have an userSetup.mel file then go to the directory where you installed bonus tools and then delete the userSetup.mel file from the scripts folder (from the bonustools dir).

Now add...

scriptJob
-permanent
-event "MenuModeChanged" "bonusToolsMenu";
bonusToolsMenu;

...to your own userSetup.mel file.

it should work ok now

08 August 2006
Originally Posted by mech7: I don't have the menu item either :(

Strange, are you sure you specified the right directory where Maya 8 is installed, when you installed the Bonus Tools?

08 August 2006
Red face

Too bad! These links don't work for me... Server adressing error ocures... Why?
I'd love to have a beam on those... ;.(

www.visionnart.ch

08 August 2006
I think the link point to Bonus Tools documentation, since it seems they derive from a copy and paste... You can find the documentation in your hard drive, in the directory where Bonus Tools are installed...

08 August 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread