Arktika ice breaker clip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #1
Arktika ice breaker clip

Hi! I've been working on a small clip of a russian ice breaker called Arktika lately, but I need a lot of critique to get it as good as it can be. The goal with this project is simply to show that my company can do ice breaking simulation and show it in a visually "cool" and realistic-looking way.

This is still WIP of course so I am still meaning to improve it in all ways, also things like adding water/snow splashes to the ship's bow to make it a little more interesting. Other things I'm planning on doing is doing the whole ice simulation from scratch (smaller and more random flakes, less jittering), and plan to change anything else that should be better as well such as some dirt/leaking to textures, light tweaks, more environment, and whichever good suggestions you people have

So, to sum up, I know this can be a lot better and I see that, but I need critique on how it can be improved in any and every way. Perhaps I'll put together a little breakdown of the comp from AE. Other software I'm using are 3ds max, mental ray, and rayfire for ice sim.

See the current clip below:

http://vimeo.com/81374505

Any critique and help is welcomed a lot. Thanks.

Old 12 December 2013   #2
I think that when the camera is still, it's too still--locked on the ship so precisely that it looks mechanical. When the camera moves, it's jittery enough to be a bit jarring. (However this is not my specialty--I'm a modeler/texture artist, so take my camera critique for what it's worth).

The ice breaking looks pretty cool to me (but again, not my specialty).

I want to see moving water in the path that the ship carves! Where are the ripples and reflections?

The ship model & texture look pretty nice but I can't see them well enough to give a good critique--the scene is foggy enough and the camera stays far away.

Hope this helps.

Old 12 December 2013   #3
The speed at which the ice chunks are bouncing around makes the ship look small and the ice like it's made out of styrofoam. Real ice chunks that weigh several tons would move slower and bounce much less. This is mostly noticeable from the side view, the top view looks better for some reason. Also just my thought on the compositing, the side view is darker than the top view. I think the top view needs to be darkened to match the side view, that way the lights won't be blowing out the image as much either.

I think overall it looks pretty good though!

Old 12 December 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread