Richies Work

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Richies Work

Its established I am not the worlds greatest matte artist. I know my limitations, however working through my disasters is the only way I will learn. So have posted some of the stuff I have been playing with. Also to prove that I am still out there, and alive.

Kathmandu, I have always wanted to visit and this is in my minds eye,

Original establishing shot,

My obligatory Christmas Card, the same firm without fail always want one two weeks before December. The CEO always wants a Victorian Scene, outside, snow at dusk/dawn. Its not Christmas till the phone call.

The one below, is not a true matte painting. However I went crazy, broke all the rules. It was for a friend that had lost his wife to cancer. He and she worked on the films, that is where they met. Lot of history in this. This was done in the space of 2 days, he loved it. Just to show that our art is not all backdrops and hero shots, sometimes it helps people.

Current WIP for a labour of love of mine, Elizabethan England Tower of London. Keep noodling at this. I also have a 23 matte shots that I am working on for a video project. But I wont post those.

Maybe not the best, but I will keep up with matte painting, hopefully get better and work with some of you.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #2

Current WIP on a shot for a 2 minute live video, lots of set replacement, this is for a 2.5d camera move, to a live action shot of a vehicle driving down a road that has collapsed to the street below. This the establishing shot, of a sequence of 6.

Look forward to ideas, comments and critiques.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #3

Current progress, other paying work came in so had to deal with that first. Updates, photoshop graphics creating from scratch the Trellis, and Sign as well.

Looking forward to your comments,

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Some work done for a fan film, Establishing shot of Ghostbusters HQ, Slimer has ate part of the building above the HQ.

BEFORE

AFTER

Designed for a camera move in,

thought I would share,

Rich

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #5

Noodling around this is finished as a matte, just needs prepping for 2.5d animation shot. Painting out the alphas and patching, the workflow was designed for this so should not take too much time. Think I may have overdone it on the LUT, for filmic look, all this for a 4 sec shot. Love it!

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Hio Richard,

I went through your post here, and you have some things that are working, but some things aren't. Many of your mattes have issues that stand out to me that can be improved upon. Namely:

- Perspective
- Black Levels
- Matte Edges
- Composition
- Lighting

There are inconsistencies in lots of them for those above subjects. What is your process currently when you start, work on, and finish a matte painting?

For this forum, I want you to improve on those ideas mentioned. And to do so, let's start from scratch here, and not from a previous idea. I do this this process with my workshop (albeit in a much more intensive way). Start with a quick sketch using just gray scale shapes and silhouettes, just values...not even worrying about lighting, texture detail, or anything inside of the silhouette. Just shapes and gray values. You can explore very quickly with fast turnaround, your composition, your perspective, and general black values. Until this is figured out, don't move on to the next step yet, which is using photos and textures or lighting of any kind. It doesn't need to be some amazing concept art, or even amazing brush strokes, just rough, default brush shapes is totally fine.

Once you have that down, pick a plate. Take that, and make a matte line to remove what you need to remove or to extend what you need to extend. Create it in a 1.77:1 aspect ratio for full HD (such as 1920x1080p) or anamorphic aspect ratio of 2.35:1 for epicness.

Then similar to just the gray scale values, just use the default brush, and sample the colors in the plate to paint out very roughly silhouettes for composition and quick shapes. You can play with some light atmosphere at this point too.

Let's start with that for now, once you get to that stage, I'll give you further feedback (as well as the lovely community here) to push your work to the next level. You've got some great things going for you in these mattes, but I believe using this forum properly, you'll be able to have some great work for your portfolio!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

http://photonicplayground.com art gallery!

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Thank you David,

Will work on what you say, thank you for taking the time to look at my work. Worst thing about this type of art you are often on your own. I am desperate to make it, for reasons best known to myself I have two years to become a matte artist. What some people fail to notice that is when you are posting on the forums your work. It can be really disheartening when people dont respond.

Thank you for responding, I would like to do your workshop two questions always spring to mind can I afford it and am I good enough at the foundation level. Money is not a problem now.

You asked what my process was. I normally paint for myself, so I find a plate or go and find a plate when out working that I can use. I am a Pro photographer so when out on a job if I see something or texture I shoot it.

I will open up the plate and extend right or left, sometimes leave as is, create a perspective grid and then sketch out what is taken out or to be extended, the sketch is very loose, at this point. If I am struggling with this I will jump into sketchup photomatch and build a model then reinport that into the picture using a bespoke style system to get easier pulls and masks. The models are very very basic.

I then copy colour and block out the areas that need doing or extending. I struggle with texture and lighting at this point and this takes me ages to get right.

Then noodle to death the matte. I hear this nagging voice not to paint onto the painting itself, but I upres it anyhow and paint. I get lost along the way at this point.

Now I see a lot of matte paintings that have this "Varnish" as I call it warmth/cold matching blacks and looking tied in. Then I look at mine invariably the work is better than the last one I did, but my progress is rather slow.

I often feel like an old man on a ice rink holding onto the sides puttering around the edge, whilst younger people are flying past me.

I need to be a matte painter in two years.

Rich

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Allo Richard,

I definitely understand that to be ignored or have no replies when you're opening your heart out to the public can be very disheartening. And to get some criticism is better for improvement than none. But in this forum, we will be trying to get everyone some form of constructive criticism when we can to improve all artists in the DMP field, or as artists in general. I'm glad you went out on a limb to post your work here.

Your process seems decent, we just need to execute it better and I think through this forum, you will achieve that. Because posting lots of work in one thread like this can be overwhelming, I think you should make a new WIP post for your upcoming matte project and have that focus on just that particular piece to have focused feedback.

Being a pro photographer definitely helps in the realm of matte painting. I also believe being a strong painter/concept artist, 3D modeler/texture artist, or strong compositing/lighting experience will tie in nicely for DMP. Having all of those traits is ideal of course. But just a few of these will help greatly for being a good matte artist.

The "Varnish" that you refer to is good old color palette cohesiveness and black level values matching all across the board, with one nice strong color that ties it all together. Even with this, we want to keep it as realistic as possible.

For my next workshop, it'll be early 2014 when I do it again due to scheduling. But I hope it'll be another fun one for everyone involved. Not only for Part 1, the foundations, but Part 2, the more advanced and entirely new course.

We're here to help though, so please use this forum, and let everyone else know that we are back in business for getting this forum up to par again for the place to be to learn about DMP! I think 2 years is a great target for you to be who you want to be.

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Thank you David,

will work on that, I have a couple of projects that I am on at the moment. Workwise, when I get a chance I will start a WIP thread. Someone at a conference mentioned it to me that on a forum if you are asking a question there are at least fifty people thinking the same thing, just waiting for a brave soul to stick his head above the parapet.

I am even willing to take a donor plate of someone and a subject.

Thanks

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Np Richard! And what you heard at the conference is right. You are not only helping yourself, but anyone who reads the comments will find solutions and ideas for their own projects.

In my workshop I tell every student to be sure to post their progress and ask questions, to fully participate...that is the way you will learn most. Through iterations, and focused feedback. Those who don't post and just lurk, get some benefit by proxy, but way way less knowledge absorption and practice due to lack of engagement.

I'll see if we can find you a plate. But also, the big CGChallenge for matte painting is coming soon, that should be great for everyone!

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Hello Richard,
I believe David has put you on the right track there. Getting up to speed on your fundamental art skills by the time David's next course will be held in early 2014 would be the first step into the correct direction, I think. This forum is the best platform for open feedback and we hope the upcoming challenge will enforce your determination, as well as bump up your learning curve.
Unfortunately, Matte Painting is not something you can pick up on the side. You will need to dedicate your full attention to it. Others in your position have decided to take a 1 year intensive course to pursue their dream. It is a true financial challenge but you should look into it if this is what will truly make you happy in life.

Best Wishes,
Milan

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Milan,

thank you for taking the time to reply, just to let you know my goal is to be able to share a beer with you in Vancouver Bay and look you in the eye as a matte painter. I am determined I have a life goal that I need to achieve, someone told me that I would never learn the piano. More fool them I have a degree in writing music for film.

David course is pencilled in and I have secured funding, I want this so bad.

I have been in After Effects all day 15 hrs just to learn one little skill.

I have a day job and a roof to keep over my head, I have a work plan to learn.

Where there is a will there is a way, cheers Milan. The only easy day was yesterday.

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 11 November 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Rockhoppermedia: Milan,

thank you for taking the time to reply, just to let you know my goal is to be able to share a beer with you in Vancouver Bay and look you in the eye as a matte painter. I am determined I have a life goal that I need to achieve, someone told me that I would never learn the piano. More fool them I have a degree in writing music for film.

David course is pencilled in and I have secured funding, I want this so bad.

I have been in After Effects all day 15 hrs just to learn one little skill.

I have a day job and a roof to keep over my head, I have a work plan to learn.

Where there is a will there is a way, cheers Milan. The only easy day was yesterday.

Richie

Heyo Richard,

Just checking in to see if you have progress on these mattes! Do you ever go to the Siggraph conventions also? An amazing place to network, I'll be going to the Vancouver one next year. Never been to Canada! Should be a great one :0

www.davidluong.net
facebook.com/ackdoh

I teach a DMP Workshop

Old 12 December 2013   #14
Happy Xmas, my annual xmas matte entitled letter to Santa,

yes I know it has elements in it, and people, but its what the client wants,

The same firm hire me every year to design there Xmas Card, so here is this years!

Richie

@Rockhoppermedia

Old 12 December 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread