Apple Mac Pro releasing December, starts at $2999

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #91
Originally Posted by Navstar: Are there any technologies in the new Mac Pro that C4D R15 takes advantage of? Cinema's performance is conspicuously absent from Apple's product page.

From what I think I know about C4D, nothing is GPU accelerated. There's no OpenCL. OpenGL on the Mac version is not on par with the Windows version. While it sounds like a phenomenal machine for audio, video, and photography, the new Mac Pro may not make a great Cinema 4D machine?

supposedly vray4c4d will be getting an opencl boost at some point, its publicly state on their roadmap

Other than that I doubt it. C4D has never catered to serious hardcore 3D sector. More likely that Modo will jump on OpenCL first I think.

Old 10 October 2013   #92
It's not about CUDA vs OPENCL. The latter has demonstrated to be able to run very complex kernels, just the same as CUDA. The problem is AMD's implementation of OPENCL ( or their drivers if you want to put it that way), that don't communicate well enough with the video , ccard through opencl. For example, as someone mentioned here , blender cycles can't run on opencl and can run on cuda, well that's not entirely true, the kernel can be read through opencl perfectly, the problem is that not on amd cards... Nvidia's opencl implementation and Intel's both can run blender cycles, in fact you can render with your nvidia gpu and intel cpu at the very same time. It's only amd and their lazy implementation of opencl that fails.

Old 10 October 2013   #93
Originally Posted by jeffsarge: ...are these really that outrageously expensive? I just checked out a similar system from Boxx and it's $650 more than the Mac Pro. The system has one Quadro K600 (1gb), 8 gigs of RAM and a 500 gig hard drive.

http://www.boxxtech.com/Products/3dboxx-4925

Boxx has some of the most hideous prices I've ever come across. I wouldn't compare anything against them, because they will always make any comparison look great.

Truly I don't understand who is buying their hardware or why.

Last edited by kweechy : 10 October 2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #94
Originally Posted by Stapledon: You miss the point.

Apple said no to Flash on iOS devices, and lo and behold HTML5 is now the standard for video on all mobile devices. Adobe caved. This is a question of market forces and having the clout to manoeuvre them.

You sound extremely anti-Apple, so I guess there's not much chance of rational discussion anyway. Trust me, life's much easier if you don't get upset over things you don't actually want anyway!

Absolutely, but for a few years, it was rather annoying to browse on an iOS device and finding you couldn't always access what you wanted or have it simply "work".

That's an iOS device. Not exactly a critical piece of hardware to your livelihood or job.

I'm not interested in paying large amounts of money in order to be used as a business strategy, all while my day to day experience is hampered in exchange for that privilege. In 3-5 years, if Apple succeeds in moving everyone to OpenCL, that's when I'll reconsider.

Old 10 October 2013   #95
Originally Posted by techmage: ...What I really don't understand is why Foundry used CUDA for it's first wave of acceleration. When both ChaosGroup and Eyeon went with OpenCL...

It's like everything else in this industry...wheels got greased. C'mon don't be so naive.

Basically Nvidia gave a bunch of OEMS ridiculous deals on Nvidia hardware to forward to studios (probably cash too) and cheap tech support for CUDA to stack the deck in favor of Nvidia. Past a certain point floating that kind of cash/resources behind any tech becomes prohibitive. The ChaosGroup and Eyeon probably didn't get the same deals as others so they went with the open standard that wouldn't hit them with a monster "Gotcha" meat hooks fee somewhere down the road and the Foundry is making that switch now because they already felt the bite or could see the meat hooks coming.

Old 10 October 2013   #96
Originally Posted by Navstar: From what I think I know about C4D, nothing is GPU accelerated. There's no OpenCL. OpenGL on the Mac version is not on par with the Windows version. While it sounds like a phenomenal machine for audio, video, and photography, the new Mac Pro may not make a great Cinema 4D machine?

Apple's machine is designed for the direction their own software is going. I think they are counting on everyone else changing course to play catch up on the mac.

I think the Mac Pro is an amazing machine designed to accelerate software I do not use and software that isn't out yet.

I bought into that possible future once with the G5, and that ended up being a bad investment for me. Now I buy what works for me now, platform me damned.

Old 10 October 2013   #97
Originally Posted by Navstar: Are there any technologies in the new Mac Pro that C4D R15 takes advantage of?...

It might pay for you to query Maxon on this. Bullet physics has been GPU accelerated in C4D for a number of years if I recall and my understanding has been that the renderer and a lot of the shaders were written or re-written to benefit from GPU acceleration. While Apple used to rely on Maxon for a lot of "3D participation" in tech demos in the past that was before Apple really started building robust support relationships with a lot of the other 3D vendors.

Old 11 November 2013   #98
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: Basically Nvidia gave a bunch of OEMS ridiculous deals on Nvidia hardware to forward to studios (probably cash too) and cheap tech support for CUDA to stack the deck in favor of Nvidia. Past a certain point floating that kind of cash/resources behind any tech becomes prohibitive. The ChaosGroup and Eyeon probably didn't get the same deals as others so they went with the open standard that wouldn't hit them with a monster "Gotcha" meat hooks fee somewhere down the road and the Foundry is making that switch now because they already felt the bite or could see the meat hooks coming.

That's ridiculous.

CUDA was earlier, better documented, had more sample code, better tools and was more stable. It mostly still is.

Developers use what they think is best for them and their customers. Some decided for CUDA, some for OpenCL - on their own.

Old 11 November 2013   #99
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread