Disney liked it

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Disney liked it

Read this the book in school ( many years ago). The Art Spirit

Every creative person should read it.

http://www.wimp.com/paintingtechniques/

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Really digging the "Manhattan Project Chic" vibe at the studio at the time.

Also cool to hear the pre-cursor of DVD commentary and Sleeping Beauty Special Features in 1958!

Seriously though, this video is more significant for the INTERPRETATION of Walt Disney Studio to the book "Art Spirit" than the book "Art Spirit".

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I always thought Walt had a strong salesman side. Of course he's going to make a really good book work in his favor.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Great watching the guys paint that tree. It is so strange remembering watching Disneyland at 7:30 Sunday evening as a kid and not being aware that it was in black and white. I think when we saw the intro with the fireworks over the castle we imagined the colours.

Nice link, thanks.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Originally Posted by rownd: I always thought Walt had a strong salesman side. Of course he's going to make a really good book work in his favor.

Definitely! And to be honest I always admired that aspect of him. Only an artist and a salesman bound in the same charismatic person could have built the industry the way Walt Disney (The Man and the Corporation) has done.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Wow, that was an AWESOME video! The background painters for the classic Disney movies were all master painters in their own right, and to see them individually tackle the same subject in a non-commercial setting was very interesting, as they has such different aesthetic and creative sensibilities, yet when working together on commercial projects, they set their differences aside and can form a consistent, cohesive style that has a unified look.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Loved that, thanks!

Walter Peregoy, who you see in the video, visitied Disney again... if you liked rownd's post, you'll love this as an addendum.

Last edited by paintbox : 05 May 2013 at 06:30 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #8
It was cool to see how the Princess evolved.
I am so sharing that video.

Side note
I had some friends that worked as animators at disney in the late 70's and 80's they told me the pay was crap and it was a shitty place to work.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by rownd: It was cool to see how the Princess evolved.
I am so sharing that video.

Side note
I had some friends that worked as animators at disney in the late 70's and 80's they told me the pay was crap and it was a shitty place to work.

So nothing has changed then?
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 05 May 2013   #10
So the Addendum to this is: "Walt Disney was a shit." and "Walt was an Asshole" ?

Note though how lively people are who came from or are in this field... even if their memories are full of how "shitty" the job was. Also how good his memory is.

Also surprised how he caught up with the times... with all the cussing and "Sob" lines....
He sounded SO different painting that tree!

For sure the old documentary about how they designed sleeping beauty would be different if they had Peregoy calling the character names like "Blonde Bitch" and describing all the rejected designs "piles of shit".

Old 06 June 2013   #11
Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06 June 2013   #12
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan:
Also surprised how he caught up with the times... with all the cussing and "Sob" lines....
He sounded SO different painting that tree!

Not to fixate, but you don't think they swore back then? His tone would be different from an official produced short compared to off the cuff remarks as a former employee.

Old 06 June 2013   #13
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread