3D Graphic Laptop

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2012   #1
3D Graphic Laptop

Hello, can't anyone recommend a site that sells or configures good power laptops for rendering/graphics?

Thanks

Old 05 May 2012   #2
Boxed reply about laptops and computer graphics: if you don't absolutely need the portability you're much better of with a desktop workstation. Laptops offer half the performance (or less) for twice the cost (or more).

Having said that I'm a fan of Lenovo ThinkPad notebooks. They are well thought out and have good build quality. The ThinkPad W520 is their flagship mobile workstation and offers up to 32GB of memory, integrated hardware for monitor color calibration, and Quadro graphics options. They have lots of other features that I have become accustomed to like the TrackPoint, LED keyboard light, fingerprint scanner for login, and a very robust power adapter connection. Their docks are nice too if you plan to work at one location frequently.

There are similar machines with varying features from Dell and HP in their Precision and EliteBook series (respectively). I'm not as impressed with the build quality and features of those notebooks but they are still very respectable and fully capable.

If you want to work in OS X the Macbook Pro offerings are decent but lack workstation graphics chipets (which matters more in Linux and Windows), don't offer 1080P resolution on the 15" model, don't have docking stations, and have fewer memory slots (max out at 16 GB). At least they brought back user replaceable batteries though.

Avoid like the plague laptops made for consumers like you'd find at Best Buy. Products made for consumers often have issues with heat when rendering for extended periods of time and lack more advanced BIOS features (like the ability to disable hybrid graphics modes). They also have rubbish support. Good luck with whatever you end up getting.

Last edited by olson : 05 May 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Old 05 May 2012   #3
Thank you for your reply. I take a look around at your suggestions and see what I come up with.

Old 04 April 2013   #4
Although this is a bit late. I would like to say that a Dell Precision M6600 is much cheaper and far more customizable than any other company's mobile workstations (HP, Lenovo and Sager). The build also seems to be of higher quality as well. Most mobile workstations are made with a plastic chassis, while the Dells have aluminum. On top of that Lenovo only offers up to a Quadro K2000M gpu while the Dell M6600 comes standard with a Quadro 4000m. If you are willing to pay a bit extra a Dell M6700 has the option of a Quadro 5000m.

Just as a note: I would recommend buying ram separate from the laptop. So far it seems like ALL of these companies charge a ridiculous amount for it. Buying it separately can keep the cost down and save you HUNDREDS of dollars.

Old 04 April 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread