Future of Maya?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #181
Quote: A program which needs 2 separate editors for changing attributes on a single object, or several objects at the same time? You're damn right it isn't perfect.
I spend about the same amount of time waiting for the hypershade to update swatches as I do actually working. You're DAMN right it isn't perfect. I don't know what you use maya for, but I'm betting it's not modeling or rendering.

Are you referring to the Attribute Spreadsheet, or the Attribute Editor and the Channel Box? Not sure if I'd want them all done in the AE, but obviously there's times it would be useful.

As for thy Hypershade updating, this isn't an issue for me in my rendering work, with 2-8K textures all the time. But I do remember when it WAS an issue, for sure, and it was a killer. And I know your graphics card might be supported, but might not be the best one? I haven't had update lag (or any lag) in Hypershade since the GTX400 series, actually. My GTS250 sometimes did, and all my Quadros, and the old 7950GT too. But not since the Fermi GPUs has it been an issue for me. What are you using on the GPU side?

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10 October 2012   #182
I've been into the Maya boat since it was in beta, I've seen it rise and be the king of the hill then slowly become just a tool. For me the last version developed was v7. All that came after was a step backward (compared to the market demands).

So far the only fixing Autodesk did for Maya was to market it as Entertainment Suite and use the other tools as fixes like Softimage ICE for particles and dynamics, Mudbox instead of Artisan, Matchmover instead of Maya Live and Mental Delay instead of maya software render (which they abandoned at v7). So instead of fixing something or improving you have to learn some 3-4 other applications to fix what's broken in Maya. I don't see a future in that.

The big studios have already understood that this is not going anywhere so they are building pipelines based on a stable render engine, using Maya just as a front end for their own pipeline since it's more expensive to develop from ground up than buying a relatively open 3d software.

Depending on the field you're into you should look for a pipeline solution not just Maya. The only advantage that Maya has it's that it can handle large databases if the pipeline is implemented properly. Other than this it's pure pain.

I'm still waiting for the day Autodesk would make the next gen 3d app they promised when they bought Maya from Alias|Wavefront. But the more time passes the more i realize that it's already on the market and that it's made by Side Effects and called Houdini.

Old 10 October 2012   #183
Quote: For me the last version developed was v7.

You haven't used it since 2005? I strongly suggest you give the latest versions a whirl. Perhaps you'll be surprised, once you're able to accurately judge the software after a 7-year hiatus.

Quote: ...and Mental Delay instead of maya software render...

I often wondered why mental ray was so much faster than everything else at rendering, too. Shocking that Maya stopped development on an underpowered, slow, feature-deficient aspect of their application in preference of a cutting-edge power tool. Why use a drill when you have an awl? Why bother with efficiency and quality, when you could settle for mediocrity instead?

Your arguments aren't even straw men, they're dust men. They're illusory, but at least Houdini would make sense for you. Use that one instead, then. Poof.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 10 October 2012   #184
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: You haven't used it since 2005? I strongly suggest you give the latest versions a whirl. Perhaps you'll be surprised, once you're able to accurately judge the software after a 7-year hiatus.

i never said i haven't used it since 2005 just that maya v7 was for me the only one developed with a sense of real progress.

if you compare the market needs in 2005 and the market needs in 2012 you might discover that maya v7 was better suited for that time than maya 2013 for the year 2012.

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: I often wondered why mental ray was so much faster than everything else at rendering, too. Shocking that Maya stopped development on an underpowered, slow, feature-deficient aspect of their application in preference of a cutting-edge power tool. Why use a drill when you have an awl? Why bother with efficiency and quality, when you could settle for mediocrity instead?

wait, you're talking about theoretically mental ray not the one implemented in Maya, right? the one that should work, be fast, stable and easy to use, right? like the one implemented in Softimage right? where there's no need for scene translation that can freeze Maya, or things that do not work in production just in demos, or IPR that freezes Maya just several times a day, wait, what? i should not use IPR since it's not stable and not all nodes work in IPR, ok i see, it's still much faster than maya software, i give you that, but at least maya software would not crash 5 times a day.

and i did understood that a long time ago since i'm using another render engine than mray or maya software.

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Your arguments aren't even straw men, they're dust men. They're illusory, but at least Houdini would make sense for you. Use that one instead, then. Poof.

i can understand your sarcasm and superiority, don't worry, i won't tell

Old 10 October 2012   #185
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: Are you referring to the Attribute Spreadsheet, or the Attribute Editor and the Channel Box? Not sure if I'd want them all done in the AE, but obviously there's times it would be useful.

You're right, there are actually 3(!) editors for attributes. The channel box is a bit useful when animating because you seldom need anything else displayed except transforms and custom made attributes. and it gives you a larger work area than a docked attribute editor. But let's imagine that attributes were updated for all selected objects when you changed a value in the attribute editor. What would you need the attribute spread sheet for? I don't see why you would need it.

Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness: As for thy Hypershade updating, this isn't an issue for me in my rendering work, with 2-8K textures all the time. But I do remember when it WAS an issue, for sure, and it was a killer. And I know your graphics card might be supported, but might not be the best one? I haven't had update lag (or any lag) in Hypershade since the GTX400 series, actually. My GTS250 sometimes did, and all my Quadros, and the old 7950GT too. But not since the Fermi GPUs has it been an issue for me. What are you using on the GPU side?

GPUs is not exactly my area of expertise. Are you saying that this is an issue for all quadro cards, or just the older ones? We're using Quadro FX 3800 if I remember correctly.

Last edited by lostparanoia : 10 October 2012 at 02:21 PM.

Old 10 October 2012   #186
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: A program which needs 2 separate editors for changing attributes on a single object, or several objects at the same time? You're damn right it isn't perfect.
I spend about the same amount of time waiting for the hypershade to update swatches as I do actually working. You're DAMN right it isn't perfect. I don't know what you use maya for, but I'm betting it's not modeling or rendering.

Hmm...that is odd. As with Qt in general, I don't have speed issues there. I have a mid-high range gaming card (GTX 580) which I bought with the intent of GPU rendering, have never bothered with Quadros.

Old 10 October 2012   #187
Originally Posted by lostparanoia: You're right, there are actually 3(!) editors for attributes. The channel box is a bit useful when animating because you seldom need anything else displayed except transforms and custom made attributes. and it gives you a larger work area than a docked attribute editor. But let's imagine that attributes were updated for all selected objects when you changed a value in the attribute editor. What would you need the attribute spread sheet for? I don't see why you would need it.

Just keep in mind that people might use maya for different tasks than you. Yes, updating attributes for multiples selects in the AE would be fantastic, but for those of doing character animation, the channelbox is a LOT MORE than just "a bit usefull". It's absolutely critical and works great compared to other apps with similar setups.

It's not perfect. Like the ability to move custom attrs up/down would be nice, but it is a lot more than just a bit usefull

Old 10 October 2012   #188
Originally Posted by Richard7666: Hmm...that is odd. As with Qt in general, I don't have speed issues there. I have a mid-high range gaming card (GTX 580) which I bought with the intent of GPU rendering, have never bothered with Quadros.

That's great. You buy a really expensive high end card to get the best performance, and what you get out of the software is the worst performance. I've even gone through more or less every drivers release to find the one with the least problems.

Autodesk. On your homepage you RECOMMEND the very same graphics card that we're using for your product.

So, where do I send the bill for increased hardware costs and all the lost production time?

Last edited by lostparanoia : 10 October 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Old 10 October 2012   #189
funny cause a workmate has a Quadro6000 and also has some Qt lags, where I don't have any with a GTX580! ridiculous

Old 10 October 2012   #190
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread