Huddersfield Christian Fellowship New Building, Stuart Cookson (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2005   #1
Huddersfield Christian Fellowship New Building, Stuart Cookson (3D)

Title: Huddersfield Christian Fellowship New Building
Name: Stuart Cookson
Software: 3ds max, Photoshop

This is one of a series of images and an animation I did for my church's proposed new building.

Modelled largely in Max 6 then finished in Max 7.5 with Photoshop used for touching up and to add the people.

Any comments and crit most welcome.

Old 10 October 2005   #2
Ooh, satellite TV! well, it's a start.
I notice that you shy away from traditional lobby - sanctuary - steeple - anterooms.
Was there a particular reason for this? I would personally suggest a more conservative design approach.

Old 10 October 2005   #3
Yes, not exactly a traditional church, did you use RPG images in photoshop? Because they're transparent.

Old 10 October 2005   #4
just interested, do you do this full time, or are you a student?

nice clean model, whats your technique? do you model from architects dim's or use the CAD elevations and plans.. its just i do this kind of work for my employer, student at the moment though

Old 10 October 2005   #5
fine work but fence is looking to old relatively to the rest. Besides, there is ok

Old 10 October 2005   #6
Are those radio telescopes for talking to Xenu? Just kidding, are they awnings to shade windows just beneath them on the columns (towers/steeples)? Hey I notice in your sig you have the same computer set up as I do, just with a much better video card. I'm jealous. The Athlon64 4400 cleans up using mental ray, do you use MR or the scanline or something like Vray for this?

-Chris

Old 10 October 2005   #7
Thank you for all your comments.

Firstly, the design is not mine. The building was designed by an architect friend in church; I have just done the 3D of it for planning consideration and for the congregation to see it. As a church we are growing out of our current 700 - 800 seater building so we need a bigger facility. We were interested in building a 'landmark' facility in the town. These things were considered in the design.

Images of people aren't RPC, no. I think I got them from Turbosquid actually - just free good images. I like the white-transparent effect. It's probably not to everyone's taste, but it's a look that I like.

I'm not a student, no. I work for Watson Batty, an architecture firm near Leeds, doing this kind of thing full time. This particular project was an evenings and weekends job though, as I didn't do it through work.

I use MR mainly. I've only just got my new machine (spec in my sig) and it really is sweet. I finished this project a few months ago, so it was mainly done on an old machine, but with MR. I'm seriously considering going down the Vray route for animations, but I'm not sure yet. I ran a test with a trial version and it seemed to take more time to set up Vray than MR, but once you have the correct info saved Vray will blast through frames really quickly. I think I need to test some more, especially now MR in Max 8 can use any number of unlicenced machines as render nodes - a long time coming!

Stu

Old 10 October 2005   #8
Originally Posted by TheCleaner: whats your technique? do you model from architects dim's or use the CAD elevations and plans..

I usually import the CAD plans into max and effectively 'draw' over them. You could select a line of the CAD and extrude, but I find it's easier to start a new mesh on top, just using the CAD as reference. I always have printed plans, elevations, sections and a scale ruler as well, so I have something on the desk in front of me to refer to. I have tried pulling elevations and sections into Max as well, but it takes so long and the file gets so huge that it's not really worth it.

Old 10 October 2005   #9
good work!

Old 10 October 2005   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread