UVWs broken after updating 3DS

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
UVWs broken after updating 3DS

Hi everyone.

Recently, I had to format my computer. Before that I was using 3DS Max 9 (which I think it's a bit old). So, I decided to get the student version of 3DS Max 2012. However, I noticed that all the UVW mapping that was done in 3DS 9 is broken!
The meshes, modifiers, etc... are all fine, I can keep working on them. But the UVWs are all messed up. Does someone know what can I do to recover them? I don't feel like redoing all the work from scratch!

Note: When I click "Open" and select a .max file to open, in the preview the models are fully textured, and the UVWs seem to be fine.

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards

02 February 2013
Were the UV's baked into the mesh(stack collapsed) in the Max9 file? What do you mean broken? When you open the edit window in the unwrap mod they've defaulted to the scrambled mess?

Maybe you could reinstall Max 9 and export the mesh as an .obj. Or if you use Zbrush or Mudbox you could export and check the UV's there.

02 February 2013
What kind of objects? How is the modifier stack set up? Any TS/Ms below the unwrap?

02 February 2013
What kind of objects? How is the modifier stack set up? Any TS/Ms below the unwrap?

02 February 2013
Thanks for your answers.

Originally Posted by musashidan: Were the UV's baked into the mesh(stack collapsed) in the Max9 file? What do you mean broken? When you open the edit window in the unwrap mod they've defaulted to the scrambled mess?

Maybe you could reinstall Max 9 and export the mesh as an .obj. Or if you use Zbrush or Mudbox you could export and check the UV's there.

The Uv's were not collapsed, they were in the modifier stack as a "UVW Unwrap" modifier. And yeah, I think they were defaulted, it's a mess. Check it in this picture:

Originally Posted by scrimski: What kind of objects? How is the modifier stack set up? Any TS/Ms below the unwrap?

You can check the stack in the picture I just posted.

Kind Regards

02 February 2013
I haven't noticed this behaviour. I've loaded several models from back in Max 8. But saying that I don't tend to keep the unwrap on the stack.

The only thing I can think of is that the UV channel might be different. The way you changed it has changed since then. Check it's displaying the correct UV channel (it should normally be 1). And maybe try pressing the reset button in the modifier to see if that updates it.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by robinb: I haven't noticed this behaviour. I've loaded several models from back in Max 8. But saying that I don't tend to keep the unwrap on the stack.

The only thing I can think of is that the UV channel might be different. The way you changed it has changed since then. Check it's displaying the correct UV channel (it should normally be 1). And maybe try pressing the reset button in the modifier to see if that updates it.

I checked the UV channel (it was 1), with no luck. I also tried the reset button, with the same results...

Note: I noticed that the map seams are set in the same way I had them before. Maybe that helps, I don't know...

Kind regards

02 February 2013
Reset will only do anything if you change to a UV channel other than 1.

It looks like the vertex order has changed, which is something I've only seen when importing objects via obj from Mudbox or Zbrush.

Can't think what else to suggest I'm afraid.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by musashidan:

Have you tried any of these options I mentioned above?

Also, you say the original seams are still intact. The mesh looks pretty simple. Why not just UV it again using your pre-existing texture as the background in the UV editor window?

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by musashidan: Have you tried any of these options I mentioned above?

Also, you say the original seams are still intact. The mesh looks pretty simple. Why not just UV it again using your pre-existing texture as the background in the UV editor window?

I'll give a try to your suggestion as soon as I can.
And well, that mesh is just an example, but this is happening with every single UV mapped model I have. Yes, it would be extremely easy to redo the mapping for this model. This one. But there are other models with more complex shapes, which took me some time to UV map.

I hope that reinstalling 3DS Max 9 and exporting would fix this issue...

Kind Regards

03 March 2013
If you have the option to reinstall max 9, just collapse all the UVUnwrap modifiers. Once the UVs are baked into the verts of the meshes this won't happen.

Although that doesn't explain why it's happening, it's usually safest to collapse any modifiers that you can. Unwrap is easily recovered by just applying a new unwrap modifier so it's perfectly safe to collapse. The only thing you'd lose is pelt seams, but there wasn't a pelt or peel tool back then anyway I don't think and they're easy to set up again.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread