Wheel Collision / Gap Detection

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Question Wheel Collision / Gap Detection

Hi all,

Posted this over on the cafe, thought I'd post here too. I've been looking for ages to find an elegant solution to this problem so posting here to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Basically I'm looking for a solution for a versatile, stable wheel to surface collision solution, preferably not using dynamics.

I can create a basic constraint based surface clamp for the wheel not to push below the surface they're on but it falls apart when there are small gaps where a real wheel would roll over. I've found a few posts around the Cafe but they don't seem to reveal a solid solution.

I've been trying constraints and using the ray collision node in a few different ways to no avail, I suspect I'm going to need a bit of scripting to do some simple collision detection

I'm building an advanced car rig and everything else has been pretty easy to setup, this is the only remaining challenge, I'll keep on hunting but any ideas would be appreciated.

cheers
brasc

02 February 2013
I'm sure you could figure out a script free way to do it. Do you have a basic setup to share? I'm interested to take a look.

Craft Animation tools would have been your friend here, I dropped a bunch of money on it years ago, but they stopped supporting it after R11.5. Of course it'll work if you have 11.5, but you miss the open gl speed enhancements of later versions.

02 February 2013
Thanks for taking a look Stuart, I also thought this would be simple from the start, I've been researching and testing for a while now but progress is still slow!

Craft would be fine just for animating and rigging the cars, but I'm looking to create my own rig for re-use (and also learn from).

Anyway, I've attached one of my work in progress files, it's based on RustEdge's setup in this thread. I've got it working quite nicely for my needs, I think I need to tune it some more. I'm currently working on a setup to increase and decrease the number of detectors (and with it detection accuracy).

The Vertical System is the working one, the Radial System is a concept I'd started but not worked out yet, I thought it might eventually be more efficient.

Let me know if you've got any ideas to improve or maybe it'll inspire a totally different concept.

cheers
brasc
Attached Files
File Type: zip wheel_collider system 009.zip (102.9 KB, 12 views)

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread