Wolverine Sculpt(Mudbox) WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Wolverine Sculpt(Mudbox) WIP

Hi, I'm trying tor recreate marvel's wolverine character with Maya/Mudbox. So far I've just blocked out the basic features of the body from a default Mudbox mesh and then posed in maya. Back in mudbox now just trying to clean up the figure and refine it a bit. Next I plan to model the base meshes for clothing in Maya. Please let me know what you think about the form, proportions and pose so far. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (66.7 KB, 87 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (64.0 KB, 26 views)

12 December 2012
I've now begun working on sculpting the clothing, trying to achieve the appearance of a leathery material. I think the boots will come next. All comments welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clothed.jpg (58.2 KB, 73 views)

12 December 2012
Smile

Ok...the first two images were a little off...but the 3rd one (with costume) looks better.
What I think is there are two ways people usually depict a character.
1. Realistic- one with real anatomy, muscles...human-ish.
2. Unrealistc- cartoonic, one with huge muscles( as u see in comics etc.)

By the looks of your model i think that you have approached realistic way.

Heres what I have to say,
The muscles need more depth. As he has closed his fist for the blades the knuckles must really show up...yours are round & soft. I cant say about head the lights & shadows are killing the info. & lastly extend the shoulders a bit...would make him more of a heroic.

I belive its in wip condition so you will figure out many more things along the way. Keep posting your progress & gud luck.

12 December 2012
Naky007, thanks alot for your comments, you are right, I am trying to make a more realistic depiction than in the comics. Perhaps I should have mentioned that i plan to bring in gloves and boots from maya to cover/replace the hands and feet. Thats why I have not bothered to to do much work on these parts. Like you suggested, I'm working on shoulders and muscles and will post again soon.

Btw, I see you've modelled alot of similar characters yourself, hope to be as good as you some day.

12 December 2012
Hi, just an update, mask, boots added, just so its clear, the shoulder pieces will be changed, along with knives, and I plan to add gloves soon. Would appreciate any ideas on how to make this better.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg w.jpg (56.9 KB, 48 views)

12 December 2012
Thumbs up

OK....now lets get serious as you have made rough shapes of what you want lets go in depth.

1. Starting from the top, (i'll skip head, as to critique head add close up shot of head) i see that you have broaden the shoulders but if you see in the middle at the neck, the neck merges right away with the chest, which makes it look unreal...this is because of absence of clavicle. The clavicle adds that extra feel to the character.
2. Moving on to the hands, I feel the biceps look too inflated. If that area will be naked then you need to add a lot depth.
3. The knuckles still look soft, check this one out,

i know there will be gloves but try to bring it out.
4. The Body...well i guess its ok, i cant say really coz body right now is the most worked area than others, bring other areas to the level of body.
5. Finally the boots, now i remember u saying that you are attempting a real model than comic, so when it comes to the boots search them on net as many as you can...spot the details like buckle, straps, stitching, zippers, texture. Its not necessary to find one boot that meets your needs. Have 10 different boots mix there qualities & create a believable boot.

finally i want you to take a look at the professionals...I guess you have heard of comicon challenges...those guys are freaks about marvel & DC like you and me. It didnt take time to search for Wolverine, here,
http://www.comiconchallenge.com/2011/spot_thatdon.php
Its for reference dont diverge your work...gud luck !

12 December 2012
Naky, I'm grateful for all your advice, I'll try to apply it all and post again when I'm done.

12 December 2012
I like how you're attempting to make a realistic model of the comic version of wolverine's costume, my main critique would be the head, the mask/cowl seems too deformed and not rigid enough. If you look at the comics you'll see it always has a very defined shape, if you're having difficulty transitioning the 2D images into a 3D appearance I'd suggest going out and buying a wolverine figure/toy done or licensed by marvel, that way you know the proportions and shape are right on it or similar enough to what the character would look like, also that can be a great tool for fixing other minor proportion problems you seem to have on the body, best of luck and keep working at it.

12 December 2012
I like what you've done so far.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread