Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #46
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Quote:
What makes Form-Z different compared to traditional 2D CAD packages is that it offers CAD functionality on polygonal geometry - you're not stuck with just using NURBS. Trim and split, parallel, loft, and fillet really do work on flat polygon surfaces and all of it can be keyed in numerically. Derivative based modeling via booleans and lines of intersection is FormZ's primary strength as a solid and surface modeler. For architectural modeling, it's superb.

I don't really see why you're being argumentative. AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, Rhino, and almost all of the other CAD packages do all of this. Boasting about it as a feature isn't necessary. It was telling to me, that I mentioned, that Maya lacked many of these tools. I wasn't trying to outsell Rhino to you or anyone over whichever program, and even mentioned that in adept hands any application can be efficient. I'm sure Form is superb in your usage, as you can be sure Rhino is in mine. There's no right way but there are often more efficient ways.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-23-2013, 08:40 AM   #47
TeeJayEllis
PRO
portfolio
Tee Jay
Interaction Designer
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernalDarkness
I don't view a floor-building plugin as a necessary tool personally, since building a floor takes about 40 seconds flat

Clearly you've never actually seen the Floor Gen plugin, or even modelled a floor by the sounds of it.

If you can build a hardwood floor in an S shaped room with subtractions for columns/obstructions, set the board dimensions and adjust the offset of the bond in 40 seconds then your point is valid.

Surely you don't think I meant a plane for a floor? Ok so you can use a texture but I tend to work to a level that calls for the extra detail, and since every project I do has a floor, and I don't have time to model them by hand (because it takes me longer than 40 seconds) the script is important.

That's not the only script though, like the bookshelf plugin is another one that saves huge amounts of time; do you want to model, unwrap, texture and hand place a library full of books, or would you prefer to press a couple of buttons and have it done.

And also, Modo smokes MR in render speed, to the point it's amusing, but MR really isn't known for its speed, is it?

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 AM   #48
Richard7666
Expert
portfolio
Richard
New Zealand

Does anyone know of any good 'real world' project tutorials for Rhino?

Also, does it produce clean geometry? eg if I have to quickly edit something, I'd like to be able to do that once the model has been brought into Maya.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #49
InfernalDarkness
Madness. Madness, I say!

portfolio
Sho Pi
CG arch/viz
Seattle, USA

Smile

Quote:
Does anyone know of any good 'real world' project tutorials for Rhino?

Also, does it produce clean geometry? eg if I have to quickly edit something, I'd like to be able to do that once the model has been brought into Maya.

@Richard7666: Rhino produces pretty clean geometry when exporting as .obj. Depending on the complexity of your model you'll want to do some Normals clean-up, either in Rhino first or inside Maya. This is usually only a slow-down in the case of complex plumbing and lighting fixtures with weird organic shapes, but the .obj-export plugin for Rhino is pretty robust. And of course the UVs inside Maya aren't too bad for most things arch/viz related. I find it superior to say, a .dxf or .dwg-based workflow for example, going from AutoCAD or Revit or Chief Architect (Cheap Architect!), where you'll have all kinds of geometry issues and very low-poly output, generally.

http://www.rhino3dhelp.com/category/tutorials/

http://vimeo.com/rhino/videos

Those two sites have some good stuff to get you going.

@TeeJayEllis:

Quote:
Clearly you've never actually seen the Floor Gen plugin, or even modelled a floor by the sounds of it.

Yes, clearly.

Quote:
Surely you don't think I meant a plane for a floor?

No, I also meant a fully modeled floor, modeled to the specs of my actual flooring materials, be it tile or hardwood, softwood or laminate. It's not a difficult task, but use whatever tool you feel is most efficient, of course. I prefer to have more control than the plugin offers, as I work with a variety of real-world materials.

Quote:
That's not the only script though, like the bookshelf plugin is another one that saves huge amounts of time; do you want to model, unwrap, texture and hand place a library full of books, or would you prefer to press a couple of buttons and have it done.

Is that supposed to be a question? I don't do a lot of bookshelves in my construction work. It does sound pretty cool though; so keep using it!

Quote:
And also, Modo smokes MR in render speed, to the point it's amusing, but MR really isn't known for its speed, is it?

Now you're just being ridiculous! Take care.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 01-23-2013, 03:42 PM   #50
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread