Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 11-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #1
overbound
portfolio
Bryce
N/A, USA

Stuck in initial stage of modeling because of symmetry

Forgive me if this is a little vague. I'm not really haven't an issue with one specific thing its more of a work flow problem.

For the past two weeks I've been slowly modeling a dog model. I've been unable to get past the initial modeling of the large shapes. I've spend hours and hours trying to get the large shape of the dog right. For the most part I can get the large shapes right, but everytime I do and I feel I can move on to mid level detail modeling I find a spot with symmetry issues.

Thus far my solution has been to take the model to Maya split it in two and stitch it back together. This works for the most part but in the process I seem to lose some detail and end up tweaking the large shapes more.

Ultimately the situation repeats itself where I find symmetry is out of whack again and I have to take the model back into Maya and mirror it again. I then lose detail and just keep remodeling the large shapes never getting anywhere.

At this point I think I've stitched the model together in Maya at least 4 times and I just cannot get past this step. I'm fairly certain I am not turning symmetry off in Zbrush and I've been using Dynamesh and Subdivisions in Zbrush if that's relevant.

So I guess my question is has anyone experienced something different as a new Zbrush user and how did you get past it?

Old 11-04-2012, 12:44 AM   #2
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
You didn't say if you started from zspheres. If you did once you have a rough shape take the lowest level mesh into Maya and ensure you have a clean centerline running around the middle of your mesh. Destroy one side of the mesh, align the centerline in the x axis apply symmetry (or whatever is the Maya equivalent) and GoZ the perfectly symmed mesh back to zbrush.

Your mesh will get lopsided if you take it out of symmetry and forget to put it back. Make sure there are no pieces of the mesh touching at the centerline like a butt or something. Also what you can do is once the corrected simple symmetrical mesh is back in ZB you can unify it under the deformation panel and then play with the export settings under the tool dialog to find the best numbers for the trip back to Maya.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:35 AM   #3
overbound
portfolio
Bryce
N/A, USA

Thank you for the response Kanga.

I did not start with zspheres I started with a polymesh sphere and modeled the entire dog body from it. Based on your statement, I'm beginning to think that's where I when wrong. Though I very much liked the workflow, zsphere would probably be faster and leave me with better topology. Better topology to start with probably would stop some of my symmetry problems.

This is just a theory though so any additional advice is welcome.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
Jesse-Irvin
I ARE PANT!!

portfolio
Jesse Taylor Irvin
Modeling Instructor
Vancouver Film School
West Vancouver, Canada

Dynamesh can get asymmetric easily, there's a mirror and weld tool in the geometry menu (under the tool menu) this sill sym left to right (so you may need to mirror the model if you prefer one side over the other) If you use regular divisions for more detailing instead of increasing the dynamesh resolution you may want to duplicate the sub tool first and then reproject your lost detail back on after you resym and remesh. if you are just losing detail from the dynamesh don't forget the project button.

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 AM   #5
Kanga
KillaRoo

portfolio
Chris Kautz
Freelancer/Character artist.
Netherlands

Send a message via ICQ to Kanga Send a message via MSN to Kanga
Jesse-Irvin's technique is probably the best approach these days. Dynamesh sketching has a lot going for it.

Yeah zspheres are not symmetrical either they are just meant to get you going quickly. They will give you diamonds on the centerline and have too much geo in some places and not enough in others, but like I said once you have the big form you just correct the mesh in your favorite app.

Also its fun!
Good luck.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:17 PM   #6
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

try tool>deformation>unify
if that dont work go to the lowest subD and mask half
and look at the sym option under tool>deformation

is it losing sym in zbrush are you losing sym after exporting out of maya
or are you using GOZ

transpose will throw it out of whack all so

Last edited by informerman : 11-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:28 PM   #7
overbound
portfolio
Bryce
N/A, USA

I'm losing symmetry in Zbrush. I'll sculpt for a while and suddenly realize the back leg is off or the ear is different. Like I said I'm fairly certain I'm not turning off symmetry on the brush.

Though my understanding of some of the suggestion isn't 100%. At least now I have some things I can look into next time this happens. Thank you everyone, and keep the suggestions coming.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #8
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

if it keeps happening set the subD to the highest and convert it to a polymesh3D
then tool>geometry>Reconstruct(only works with quads)
file maybe corrupted

Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #9
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread