NewTek Announces Latest Release of LightWave 3D® 2018

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

12 December 2017
NewTek Announces Latest Release of LightWave 3D® 2018

––LightWave 2018 boasts a streamlined workflow with an extensive list of artist friendly capabilities including, all new physically based rendering architecture, and wide range of additional improvements––San Antonio, TX – December 12, 2017 – NewTek, Inc., announced availability of LightWave™ 2018, the new iteration of their comprehensive 3D animation system. The software for Windows® and Mac® operating systems will be available on January 1, 2018 at 12:01am GMT. LightWave 2018 introduces new features that are ideal for physically based rendering, VR rendering, and more. It also extends the functionality of popular features like the buffer system, FiberFX, cel-shading, object deformations, and others.“We’re proud that LightWave has a long history of being the ‘go to’ 3D application for artists who need to deliver the finest, most realistic art and animation on time and on budget,” said Dr. Andrew Cross, president and CTO for NewTek. “LightWave 2018 furthers that tradition with finely tuned tools that improve every aspect of the user experience from rendering to lighting to surfacing, cameras and more.” https://www.lightwave3d.com/news/ar...htwave-3d-2018/
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2017
EEEKK!! cant wait.Thanks for the heads up.

12 December 2017
Finally !!!

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by Nemoid: Finally !!!

Oh my, that was hard to wait

12 December 2017
Originally Posted by NewTek: LightWave 2018 will be $995USD. Registered owners of any previous version of LightWave 3D can upgrade to LightWave 2018 for $295USD through March 31, 2018. Educational pricing is also available

Kudos to NewTek for pricing 2018 at just 1K. If they have overhauled the old LW User Interface significantly, I think that I'll definitely be buying a license.

Finally some much needed price-competition for Autodesk and Maxon and their stupidly overpriced software.

Its good to see LightWave has survived and is back! Lets hope there is a new UI and really good render speed!

Welcome back, NewTek!

12 December 2017
Ok so there's no new UI in 2018 yet.

But I went through the announcement thread at LW3D and the new render engine really looks fantastic.

If its fast, it could give Octane, Arnold and so on a run for its money.

12 December 2017
Well, unlikely in terms of Octane, but Arnold is a very valid target to shoot for. It will be very interesting to see how it plays out in terms of speed, ease of configuration, and of course quality. The new volumetrics engine is tightly coupled. The new PBR shading system will make it work beautifully with Substance tools or Quixel/Megascans output.

12 December 2017
If the new renderer is fast, then I think LW 2018 will find many takers at just 1K a license. That's a really fairly priced software.

I really wished LW had a bold new UI, but they seem to be switching over to the QT UI framework, which indicates that a new UI may be in the making.

So maybe 2019 will have that new UI.

I haven't touched LightWave in a decade and will give 2018 a spin when it comes out.

12 December 2017
Yep UI has been reworlked a bit with QT tools but not everywhere...work still needs to be done.
Rendering has had a good update !

12 December 2017
Depending on how deeply the old UI framework sits in the LightWave source code, a reworked UI may be easy or hard to pull off.

The switch to the standardized QT framework should make a new UI design much easier to pull off.

If they manage to put Modeler and Layout into one UI, then I think LightWave has a shot at becoming a popular 3D soft again.

In any case, I'm glad that LightWave isn't completely dead like Softimage is now. It would be a shame to lose another 3D soft that was used to create so much good 3D content in the past.

reply share thread