SolidWorks to EI

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2009
SolidWorks to EI

Having major problems getting files from SolidWorks to EI. I have tried having the client export as ProE (which works sometimes) but all other methods, IF they work come in as separate surfaces and it would take days to stitch them back together. Any ideas?

Current Flow:
ProE to Shark to SAT to ViaCAD to FACT

I have a good array of software to handle CAD, at least I thought I did :O)

Thanks!

Joe

11 November 2009
Hi,

Try STEP out of ProE. That might work. My 2nd try would be VRML.

-Craig

11 November 2009
I think STEP also generated surfaces. VRML I'll send that suggestion to the client.

11 November 2009
I am having no problems opening SAT files from Solidworks in Shark and exporting directly to FACT. SAT is good because it maintains objects as solids.

Of course Pro-E is based on the Parasolid kernel, which has to translate over to the ACIS kernel. I can understand why there may be some issues here, but I have imported Pro-E part files into Concepts/ shark in the past with no problems. If you only need to import objects into EIAS, see if there is an OBJ export option.

Dave

11 November 2009
I was under the impression that SolidWorks can't export to SAT. That's what I'm getting from the client. Is their an option that might be called something else other than SAT but exports out as SAT?

11 November 2009
Originally Posted by 3dData: I was under the impression that SolidWorks can't export to SAT. That's what I'm getting from the client. Is their an option that might be called something else other than SAT but exports out as SAT?

I am POSITIVE that an SAT option exists.
I work with multiple manufacturers all who use Solidworks. We exchange SAT consistently.

It may be called "ACIS" but the file extension will be .sat.

Dave

11 November 2009
Dave,

I passed your info along to the client.

Man, I hope you are right :o)

Thanks!

Joe

11 November 2009
I've had good luck having our engineers export as a version 5 or 6 ACIS (.sat) file and taking it into Modeler. From there, it's easy to get it into Animator. The main issue is that all objects are renamed "entity," so that could be a pain on a model with a lot of objects. I also have to scale the Z axis by -1 (I do it in animator), but that's pretty painless.

You may also want to try an IGES file. I was able to bring that file into Modeler as well, though it broke it into a bunch of pieces.

Ross

11 November 2009
Their flavor of ACIS SAT still exported surfaces, not solids. However, by choosing IGES with other options, they were able to get solids exported, which I brought into Concepts Unlimited. Took all week and a lot of back and forth but I got something to use!

Thanks for all the ideas!

11 November 2009
Originally Posted by 3dData: Their flavor of ACIS SAT still exported surfaces, not solids. However, by choosing IGES with other options, they were able to get solids exported,

I'm pretty sure it's not "their flavor of ACIS SAT", or STEP, which creates surfaces. SolidWorks can export solids to both formats. In 98% it's just the wrong options which are selected. There are rare cases, in which geometry coming from a Parasolid kernel can not properly be translated to ACIS or STEP (although Parasolid-driven applications might read the STEP correctly). In such cases, files may end up as a bunch of surfaces. But - as I said before - these cases are rare.

Bernd

11 November 2009
True, but my requests were always filtered by a person between me and the CAD operator. If I could have talked directly to the CAD operator for 20 minutes, it would have saved days of requesting different file formats. Even as such, the IGES created surfaces for every round object. I going to have to combine something from the ProE, SAT and IGES files to get what I wanted. All this is non-billable of course :O(

11 November 2009
Originally Posted by 3dData: True, but my requests were always filtered by a person between me and the CAD operator...

I feel with you, I've been through that for several times. All you can do is bother the "man in the middle" so much that he happily gives you the direct contact info of the CAD operator ;-)

Bernd

11 November 2009
Well, the files that I thought came in OK, now I find there are missing faces. And the geometry is bad so that I can't generate new faces to replace them (which is probably why they couldn't be exported). So tomorrow I have to bug the "man in the middle" again and hope he passes me along to the CAD operator -- or cans the project.

There has to be a better way.

11 November 2009
IGES or SAT have always been my format of choice from Solidworks... but I always go into FZ and not directly into EI... if you want to try EIM, make sure to specify a version... EIM SAT is v6...

Cj

-Walt Disney

11 November 2009
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread